Hope

(#Celltober2021 | artworks by saineko08, stories by Moriko_)

22 | Hope

Cells at Work! BLACK | Chapters 18-23

Since that group of red blood cells from outside had started to help them, the three of them had started to believe in a better future.
Some time before, for the native red blood cells of that place, the word "hope" had become forbidden, to the point that they had heard it nowhere else. Why should one continue to hope if their world was falling apart? Too many unfortunate events had wiped out their enthusiasm for the work they were doing and shattered their dream of having moments of rest during which they could catch their breath and smile again.
They had heard that same word, "hope", after a long time from that small group of red blood cells, who had begun to tell how, thanks to their courage and perseverance in their duties, they had managed to save the organism from which they came from critical moments: it was also true that they often had to thank outside help, but if it had not been for them the organism would never have been saved from a death that seemed to be certain.
Their enthusiasm and their efforts to improve the situation even in that now seriously damaged body seemed to be heartfelt.
Upon hearing the stories of those new co-workers, the three native red blood cells of that organism smiled again and became more confident in a better future for each of them.
Perhaps, one day, the word "hope" would spread through all the blood vessels of that body.