Free space

(#Celltober2021 | artworks by saineko08, stories by Moriko_)

30 | Free space

Resting (DA4901 and J-1178) | Cells at Work! BLACK

«That one over there... isn't that her?»
At that question, DA4901 turned in the direction indicated by his friend and raised his head. On one of the bridges that connected one side of the street to the other, he noticed the presence of a pink-haired leucocyte, sitting, her back against the wall. Despite the distance that separated them, judging from that position it was obvious to him that his beloved J-1178 was resting.
«So?»
«So... what?»
DA4901 arched an eyebrow, puzzled by that question SS1104 had asked him.
«What are you waiting for to go to her?» his friend replied. «Can't you see? She's alone, she needs some company...»
The raven-haired red globule remained silent for a few seconds, continuing to keep his gaze fixed upwards. After that he said: «We're working, I'd say it's not the time to waste time with these things... besides she's used to being alone, after all she's a white blood cell...»
«Then it's settled!» SS1104 took the last package that was on DA4901's cart and placed it in his, above another package. «I'll make your delivery, so you can spend some time with her! See you later!» he said, pushing the cart away from his friend.
The other, red in the face, opened his eyes wide and after a moment of astonishment chased after his friend. «Wait, you forgot your receipt!»

After SS1104 had disappeared from his view, DA4901 paused to look up at the spot where the pink-haired leucocyte rested. Despite the distance that separated him from her, his heart was beating just as if J-1178 had been inches away. If they hadn't been in public, the red blood cell would certainly have followed his friend's advice: he would have walked up to her, brushed her hair and left a tender kiss on her forehead, then taken her hand and rested by her side.
Nevertheless, DA4901 came up with another idea that he could more easily do. He walked towards the bridge, climbed on it and approached the leucocyte; he took a bottle of water from his bag and left it beside her, after which he sat down in front of her to watch over her.
His friend was right: their work could wait.