Life

(#Celltober2021 | artworks by saineko08, stories by Moriko_)

25 | Life

Cells at Work! BLACK | Chapter 48

Despite their differences, those three little erythroblasts had become inseparable. None of them could explain why, but each of them felt in the depths of his heart that he had to stay close to those little friends who, even if they had to get to know each other better, seemed to have known each other forever.
A little one with silvery hair, which was often gathered in a small tail, always lively and a bit rebellious; a boy of the same age with short raven hair, quiet and who loved to read; lastly an erythroblast of the same generation, tall and strong but with a heart of gold.
Three different characters, three different physical appearances, but with a single goal: to strive to mature and become great red blood cells, ready to make their contribution to the world that awaited them.
Three erythroblasts who had yet to learn so much from their macrophage teachers, but who already felt they were ready for their future duties. The three of them eagerly followed the lessons and teachings they received, and in their moments of break they came to the entrance of the spot where they were born: there, behind a glass from which they could see everything, they paused to observe the process of birth of their fellows, admiring the hard work of the hematopoietic stem cells that divided the newborns into different groups for subsequent differentiation.
«I wonder where all those cells came from...» they wondered.
«It would be nice to know our parents! Imagine that: cells just like us that already know this body because they work in it!»
«They say it's impossible: those cells don't exist anymore. We are born from what is left of them, I read it yesterday in a book...»
«Come on, that's not true! I'm sure one day we'll meet, and I'll tell them about the big red blood cell I've become! You'll see, they'll be proud of us and what we're doing to make this body healthier and stronger!»
None of those three erythroblasts could know it yet, but soon they, of all people, would fulfill that little hope that their predecessors had entrusted to the future.