Wound

(#Celltober2021 | artworks by saineko08, stories by Moriko_)

24 | Wound

Glomerulus | Cells at Work! BLACK | Chapters 13-26

As a Glomerulus, she was used to having wounds on many parts of her body. Over time they had become more and more numerous, especially on the hands that every day washed the red blood cells that had come to the kidneys to clean themselves from the dirt accumulated during their hard work.
She was used to not showing the suffering she was experiencing. She had never been allowed to, because she and her companions had been taught to keep their gaze as peaceful as possible and not shed a single tear: no hint of sadness or pain, none.
Yet, of all the wounds she had received, the biggest one was in a very definite area of her body, in the center of her chest. Although it was an invisible wound, it was the one that hurted the most because it wasn't a wound she had gotten because of the hard work she was doing in her kidneys, but a wound born because of a terrible event that had turned her life upside down.
The loss of a loved one.
That wound was born the moment she had lost her beloved "ma'am", who was very strict but protective of her students, who sooner or later would take her place.
Some time later she had found relief for that wound, which was slowly healing when she met that big red blood cell that had saved her life by eating the excess glucose. However, soon after, that very wound was reopened as she found out about the last sacrifice that same red blood cell had made to save everyone, including her.
The pain caused by that wound burned so much, to the point of becoming unbearable. But she had to go on, continuing to carry that strong suffering inside her, not to let that sacrifice become vain.
Whatever would happen, she had to keep working, even for those loved ones who had lost their lives protecting her.