Chapter Twenty-Three: Prices

Zurich

Castile and Nyon walked behind me as I got to the limo. It was a loud, and chaotic night in Quintin. The excitement didn't have time to end or a time to begin. It was always lit here. It was the opposite of my current mood. I felt strange.  Going home to this war was...if I'm honest, both annoying and exhilarating. The thought of ending every and anything in my way was intoxicating. Like a new level of high, you can see just over the street, and you can get it if you just crossed over. But crossing over was a bit harder now. With her, I mean. I wanted to go, but I also wanted her with me. I know she can't come, and I also know Georgio would lay his life down to protect her. But something was itching me not to go. Creating uncertainty in my mind. 

"Castile, I know you can't  wait to stretch those legs in a real fight!" Nyon joked behind me. " this war is going to be a well needed work out for our old joints."

"I can't say I disagree, I don't  care what the holier than thou ones say either, war is a necessary sport for people who are equipped to play, " he rambles, " A Donatus war like this I've only seen once before, before they captured me and had me in that wretched fucking cave." 

"And you will see another victory here, the greedy Witch and brainwashed Dubois will regret the day they decided to go against Imperium," Nyon scoffed. He exuded so much passion and excitement it was like he was giving me a pep speech. I felt affirmed. 

"The humans are going to miss this fight," Castile sighs. I knew he meant A'Miza and her parents."They'll hear the stories I'm sure." Nyon chuckles as we get to the exit of the Red Hotel. 

I was leaving the building without saying goodbye. I knew common manners meant that you had to say farewell or extend a be right back notice. But I did not know how to do them well.

"She's awake now, Sire," Nyon says as we enter the limo. Hmmm. My chest warmed. What the fuck was that? These feelings are truly uncomfortable.

I shook my head. 

 I couldn't go up there, I had a mission, a purpose. If I go and see her I may never leave. I may live inside with her, inside of her for hours. The thought of it was tempting...threatening even. I may ditch this whole war just to stay with her, let the world burn around me while I had her legs wrapped around my waist with my dick deep inside of her. Thinking and caring of nothing else.

The thought alone was pulling at my whole body. It was a peaceful thought. But... I can't go out like that...  I needed to defend my honour. I had to get to Imperium as soon as possible. 

"Drive," I announced to the Royal Maleficus' who were in control of the vehicle from Imperium. In a beat, the car started to move off and I felt a heaviness in my chest. What was this? Was this me missing her already? Did I not just laugh at her for this very same thing? 

I shook my head. I may need to whore when I get home. This sappy shit is not for me.

I'd see her as soon as all this was over. For now, let her enjoy her family they've woken up, too. I'll be back.

As we drove through Quintin, I looked fondly at the young men and women who were having fun. I didn't want to be in their space at all. The world was falling apart around them and they didn't even know it. What empty lives they must lead. Or was it a happier life since they were carefree? Many of the Donatus in here are from the outside, I am meant to lead them one day. The people of Quintin had a carefree, 'fun is all' type of lifestyle. I took it all in before Quintin's portal door opened around the vehicle and all I could see again were suburban homes and white picket fences. The weight of the real world fell heavily on me. I knew I was now open to being attacked again, and a sick part of me wanted it to happen. Because they've all pissed me off. Killing Marisa and Jaxon was a direct jab at me. Dubois knew who they were to my mother. The memories I have of them, always sharing beautiful stories of my mother with me. Always visiting just to keep in touch. We weren't incredibly close, but they were a piece of her I kept. They were both Irish, so incredibly patriotic, red-headed and charmingly loud.  Jaxon was a slender man, always in flannel shirts and blue jeans. Marisa is a little short thing, no taller than 5 feet, with a little slender face, small eyes... an earthy blue. It fascinated me how they always kept the room bubbling and laughing whenever they visited. And just knowing that they were coming in our defence was enough for me to kill at least two people, for absolutely no reason other than their allegiance with those idiots.