Chapter Thirty-Six - My Sanctum

We ended up curled up in my bed after my bath. I was cuddled up on his chest. It was quiet in here, except for the Tv. I sometimes forget that there is no beating heart in his chest, so as I lay here I did not hear anything --no beating, at all. The quiet allowed my mind to run in circles around the matter of Iminan and all that's happened. I was...worried for him. I needed to find out if he was under a spell or not. I needed to present that fact to Zurich before he did something he'd regret. I hate to have to be the one to do this, too. But who else? Who else cares if he kills his best friend or not? His brother? It damn sure won't be my parents. Speaking of which, mommy has agreed not to disclose any of this to dad. He's having a hard time as it is...barely leaving his room. He's dealing with his new life in his own way, dealing with my diagnosis of certain death... it's hard for everyone.

Ya...and they are going through all of this because of you. Well...no...choices were made for me before my existence. I just chose not to entertain it. So, if we are being technical-

"Stop thinking about it- and him," he says, jerking me from my thoughts.

"I can't."

"Try."

"Z-" suddenly I heard a knock at the door, then hear Zurich sigh, annoyedly. I looked up at him to see him about to tell them to leave. Who was it? "Come in!" I announced. Z raised his brows at me then shut his mouth into a hardline. I looked toward the opening door and saw Kelsey's round face and petite body coming through with a maids vest on and a black pencil skirt. She wore a pair of black heels, too, which is unusual for the maids at the Embry's.

"Miss McNeal your mother has as asked that I check on you," She bowed as she saw Zurich next to me. Oh... okay.

"I'm fine, thanks." I smiled at her. I watched her eyes move from me, then to him, then back at me before she nodded.

"I'll let her know." She says before she turns to leave.

As the door shuts behind her, Zurich lets out a sigh. Something felt off... she looked at him as if she weren't expecting to see him here. Almost disappointed.

"Yes, I had sex with her."

I damn near flew up off of him to how quickly I sat up in the bed. What? I looked down at him as he shook his head and folded his hand across his bare chest.

"In your new life A'Mi, amongst the vampires who rule, you'll likely meet many women that I would have had sex with-I've been alive a long time, I don't sleep, and for vampires-unless we are having fun, life just feels like a long waste of time." he shrugs, "These women were activities, not people, to us. It doesn't have the same sentiment humans place on it most of the time for us as I've said before."

Yeah... I get that. He's told me as much. But the regular-degular human I am still feeling a little hurt, a little annoyed and a lot angry with it all.

"Sounds like the longest definition of whore to me," I spat.

He smirked at me and stroked my cheek.

"Perhaps, but it's in the past now." he shrugged. "We are both single and in this bed, because we've both chosen it. You don't want to be with me."

"And you don't want to be with me, either. " I shrugged. " perhaps it's better this way. Perhaps we were fools to even try."

He looked up at me, with his brows furrowed and his face stern. He looked like he was thinking deeply, but he couldn't bring himself to say what was on his mind. I guess, at the end of it. I couldn't kill him...because even after all he's done, I can't hate him. He's been upfront with me about everything every step of the way. Except for the blood dealings, that didn't directly affect me. Men in this day and age lie while being caught in the lie.