Chapter Forty-Two- No More light

Cont.

Her fingers were cold, but I couldn't take them from my lips. Helen ran around me, and so did the doctor, and I couldn't make out what they were doing. My chest felt heavy and my head felt even heavier. My eyes are glued on her beautiful face. I'm sad, but more than that I am furious. The room was rummaged and torn apart after she drew her last breath. I couldn't contain the pain, the rage.

"Prince– Prince Gerarld, please we must move quickly." Helen stammered at the foot of the bed. I hear her but my mind is afar. Why would you do this, baby? Why?

"Prince?"

Our child is gone too. Gone the moment you went. I shook my head and rested her palm on my face. I didn't know I wanted a child, till it all happened suddenly. Everything with you was always a surprise, even meeting you, but this A'Mi? This surprise ... Now I have nothing.

"Prince,"

Without a second to spare, I turned and held the doctor by her throat. Her eyes peeled out her head as she held onto my wrists with bated breath.

"Please–Sire we must get the baby out." She croaked.

Wait.. what? I listened to A'Miza's body. Nothing, I heard nothing. I looked at this woman before me, with eyes blazing and teeth gritted.

"Sire!" I heard Helen's cry behind me.

"Speak!"I ordered, not letting go of the Doctor's throat. Someone had better start making sense!

"She asked me to shield the baby if ever this were to happen she was prepared." She rambled, "The shield had to be done while I was in the room, I did it when trying to stop the bleeding, that's the reason you can't hear the baby."

"We must act now!" The doctor croaked. As the information sinks, I let go of her throat. "Go, do it!" I growled. Looking back at her body, I felt confusion mixed in with my pain.

She saved our kid.

I didn't start this day thinking I'd lose her by the end of it. I didn't know anything. But...she made sure our child would be okay.

I watched as they flung her bloodied dress journal above her belly, and began cutting. I can't watch this. I fucking can't! Turning my back, I focus on the door, trying to calm my nerves.

Breathe, Z. I hear her voice like a faint whisper. I sent shivers down my spine. Breathe, don't become him.

"Don't!" I growled aloud, slamming my hand against the wall beside the door. "Fuck, A'Miza! You do not get to tell me I'm better than this!"

I leaned my head against the door, forcing my skull into the wood. I wanted it to hurt, but physical pain was damn near foreign to me. All I felt were emotions, and right now it is all I am feeling. I felt all of it. Why...Rabbit?

Suddenly, it was like someone returned something that was missing from an orchestra. I heard it and it...frightened every fearless part of me. A heartbeat.

"It's a girl!" Helen announced. A girl...I hear her and my anger isn't gone, nor is my sadness...but as I see her, my head heated up and my chest caved inward. The little whimpers that came from her were small and soft and as I saw the small, bloodied baby in Helen's hand, I watched as she wiped her clean. She squirmed and stretched and cooed. Her hair was full of curls that stuck to her tiny head.

I-

She was-

"She's perfect, A'Miza," I croaked. Crying was a strange sensation to me, but at this point, I cannot help anything I do. I'm crying, raging, and confused—shattered. Helen walked over to me, her eyes glued to mine as though she was seeking approval. I said nothing and stood still as she got close to me.