Chapter 8

"Papa!!"

Callie run downstairs as the moment she woke up. Saint carried her and kiss her cheeks. She then cutely poke her father's cheeks "Why?" "Umm... Where's Uncle Cain?" Saint smile at her "You miss him already?" She nod while playing with her little fingers.

"She just spent the whole day yesterday then fall straight asleep into his arms" Mrs. Suppapong said "Yeah, And unexpectedly... Cain have a great and nice voice. It was like you're watching a Fairy King singing to a Princess from a neighboring kingdom" then Saint look at them "As far as I know, he don't want to be called a King. That's why Cousin always called him a Mercenary" Callie look at him "What's a Mercenary? And Why Uncle a Mercenary?" Saint smile and told her a story.

A long time ago, in a far away love story back in the past. There exists a simple young maiden who lose her royal parents in an early age and later lived with her relatives who love her so much without thinking anything to be returned. In the other side, there lived a Prince who's parents are far from each other and having different love story. He's a Prince with the most alluring looks, he grew up with compliment and been idolised wherever he goes and that didn't made his heart happy, instead it creates a huge mountain of black smoke around it... but at that very moment, that very day. The Maiden and the Prince met and it wasn't like any fairytales. The Maiden opposes to the Prince's attitude towards other people, she fought with him and that made him think that she's so interesting. As time when by, the black smoke around his heart slowly fading and he slowly falling in love with her. Many days passed, The Prince confessed to the Maiden about his love and she accepted them, not for the title or fame but because she as well already fell for him. But the Maiden must go on a journey for her dream, that's why the Prince promise the Maiden that at the very day, She'll be his Queen and he'll be her Mercenary. Why a Mercenary? Because Mercenaries stays loyal to only one Queen.

"Does the Mercenary waits?" Callie asked innocently, forgetting that Her Uncle Cain was also called a Mercenary by her Late Aunt.

Yes, the Mercenary waits until a year has passed. He stays loyal and only love his Queen. He communicated with her every single day and was so considerate no matter what. After a year, The Mercenary's Queen went back and they stayed together in one house then attended with the same campus. They were so very happy for many years until they reached their last year in University. But fate's not on their side at the very moment, The Queen have a long exam and the Mercenary need to go on a journey since he's the leader of the group. He wanted to decline it but his Queen want him to go since it was a step towards his dream. She don't want to hold him down and assured him that she'll be alright. So, the Mercenary have no choice since the Queen also want him to win. Never expected that it would be the very last day he can hold his Queen. At the final ground, a news reached them that some ruffian killed the Queen alongside with any other people. The Mercenary continued with the game though with a broken heart. After the game, they left and went back home in a rush then there, he saw the lifeless Queen laying in the ground with her Relatives crying around her body. His world shattered in pieces but along the way, he tried to look for another Queen but his heart, mind and soul won't let him. It says that he can only love that one very Queen of his life.

"The Mercenary was left alone... My heart hurts Papa..." Tears flows down as Saint wipe her tears away,

But the Mercenary went back to the place one day and there, he meet the dearest Princess that his Queen longed to meet. Her cousin's daughter. The Mercenary was aware about that little girl's existence and the fact that his Queen left a precious place for her cause he was there at that time, helping her. The dear Mercenary spent all day with the Princess until she fell asleep before he left. The Princess was so precious to him not only because she's charming and she takes after his Queen but because his late Queen named the Princess herself.

"The Princess' like me!" She overjoyed "Aunt named me... And Uncle Cain played with me yesterday---" he stopped and look at Saint "Was the Mercenary, Uncle Cain? And The Queen... Aunt? Then the Princess..."

"It's you"

They look at the front door and saw Cain holding dessert boxes. Callie run towards him as Saint puts her down. Instinctively, Cain put the boxes down and catch Callie as she jumped towards him.

"How's our Princess Kallistê? Is it a great day?" She nod and hugged him as she wrapped her short arms around Cain's neck then he hugged her back... Preciously.

"I'll protect Callie my Love... Like how you protected her all those years. This year, it's me who will stay with her. It's your death anniversary as well as this little girl's birthday."

He thought to himself as he walked to the dinning area with Callie on his arms while holding the rope of the boxes he brought. He already visited his Queen early as 12mn and now, he'll be spending the Princess' morning to her simple birthday celebration.