March Drabble Challenge: 9 - Chance

"But A-Yuan..." whined Wei Wuxian, "we were having so much fun, how can you say you do not want to play with me anymore?"

"No," A-Yuan theatrically, how only toddlers could, turned his head away and pouted.

"A-Yuan..."

"No!" this time, the toddler was more resolute. If Wei Wuxian was not so desperate, he would have surely been enjoying this a lot more. A-Yuan was just adorable.

"Auntie Qing scolded me last time for getting dirty and said I should not play like that with Xian-Gege anymore. Uncle Ning will play with me."

"A-Yuan... That is just not fair." This time it was Wei Wuxian who was pouting. "You were having a good time too, do you not want to try growing a few more A-Yuans to play with anymore? Let us give it another chance, hm?"

Hearing this, the toddler waivered and looked back at Wei Wuxian. "Will there really be friends to play with me?"

It was Wei Wuxian's turn to look uncomfortable. He did not like lying to him. At this, Wen Qing could not watch them any longer. She would not give Wei Wuxian another chance to drag A-Yuan into something where he would ruin his clothes.

She stormed closer and picked the toddler up, glaring at Wei Wuxian in the process. He was the adult here; he should not be promising the child something that he knew was impossible. Then again, it was Wei Wuxian they were talking about, was it really impossible for him?

Never mind, she decided, A-Yuan only had so many sets of clothes to wear. She was not taking any more chances with this.

"Wei Wuxian, do not be a child and go help planting the radishes or something."

"Wen Qing!" he plaided to her leaving back. She did not listen.