September writing prompts 23 - Birth

Wei Wuxian was frozen. He was watching his home burn as Wen attacked. He wanted to fight, but Madame Yu was dragging him and Jiang Cheng, in the direction of the river.

She stopped and released their arms. Wei Wuxian was looking at her with wide eyes. He opened his mouth to apologize, he was sure this was somehow his fault, it always was. But there were no words coming to his mind, everything was happening too fast.

Madame Yu looked at both of them. Jiang Cheng got a worried look while Wei Wuxian got a fierce glare which made him cower away a little bit. What were Madame Yu's intentions?

She pushed them inside a boat. They fell.

"Go!" she ordered urgently. Then, she turned towards Wei Wuxian: "You have a duty, you have to protect Jiang Cheng."

Wei Wuxian was staring at her, not understanding anything anymore. Of course he had to protect Jiang Cheng. She did not have to remind him.

"Do you understand?" Madame Yu insisted. Wei Wuxian nodded. She seemed relieved, her eyes appeared suspiciously wet.

Suddenly, she jumped into the boat to join them. She kneeled in front of them and hugged Jiang Cheng. As if she was saying her goodbyes. Wei Wuxian's chest hurt.

As he was expecting, after letting go of Jiang Cheng, Madame Yu turned to him next.

There was a curious expression on her face. As if she was not about to scold him.

She hugged him as well. He was shocked speechless. He had never known she had had any positive feelings for him. Or had she just discovered her motherly instincts? This could have been the birth of a new era if she was not sending them away.

She whispered into his ear: "You must both be safe."