March Drabble Challenge: 23 - Strut

"What is this?" asked Jin Ling with a mocking tone. "Is this all you got for your birthday?"

A-Yuan looked at him with a confused expression. He could not understand what Jin Ling was talking about. What was wrong with getting a stuffed bunny as a gift? He loved it!

"Jin Ling, do not be mean," tried to calm the situation Ouyang Zizhen. Then he turned to A-Yuan and reassured: "I really like your new bunny. Will you let me borrow it sometime?"

"What is good about a stuffed toy? You know what? I got a remotely controlled car for my birthday, it is not a lot better? If you ask nicely, perhaps I will let you look at how I play with it. Father is teaching me all the tricks."

A-Yuan was stunned. Why was his friend acting in this way? It was not nice to be so haughty. A-Yuan knew that his family was not as rich as Jin Ling's, but did he really had to say it like this? It hurt a little.

He could not help himself, he felt like crying. He liked Jin Ling, but sometimes, his friend could by a big fat meanie! Why did he had to say that A-Yuan's stuffed rabbit was not good enough? His parents had especially chosen it for him.

Before the argument could escalate anymore – as Lan Jingyi seemed ready to hit Jin Ling in the face – their kindergarten teacher run over. He must have seen the situation and decided to mediate.

"Jin Ling, you should apologize," he took A-Yuan's side. "I am sure A-Yuan likes his gift just as you like yours. A prize tag does not determine how good something is."

Jin Ling looked somewhat pouty but still extended his hand. A-Yuan took it and smiled.