September writing prompts 18 - Bad Day

"Agh," Wei Wuxian growled and tried to wipe mud from his face. This day did not start well, and it had just gotten a whole lot worse.

Who could have known that when he had accepted a request for a seemingly fairly easy night hunt near the Cloud Recesses, things would finish up like this?

Lan Zhan had seemed too busy to come with him, and Wei Wuxian had decided to go on his own. That had been the first point when he should have thought twice about this. Had it truly been so urgent that he could not have waited a few hours?

The second thing which had gone badly was that even the Juniors had not had time to come with him. Thus, he had had to go on foot and alone. Not that he would usually mind, but it had started pouring along the way and he had arrived soaked to the bone.

The third thing which had taken the cake was the fact that some other cultivators had already taken care of the walking corpses in the meantime so Wei Wuxian had not had any job here.

He had been standing in the middle of the forest, soaked and cold. And then the night fell.

All fire supplies as well as talisman paper had been soaked through and useless. No wonder he had fell down head first into a muddy puddle. And sprained his ankle as well. Just great. Lan Zhan would not be happy about this.

How was he going back to the Cloud Recesses now? He would probably have to wait till morning to find his directions or for someone to come looking for him. This was one of the moments a golden core, even a really weak one, would have been of help.