10.

10. 

Hisoka woke up the next morning after hearing a sharp knock at his front door, a tired groan passing his lips. The intrusion was odd because the redhead never had visitors and the thought of getting up only seemed to bother him. 

When the knocking persisted, Hisoka finally threw the covers off of himself and pulled on the first thing he could find. He looked around his room for a while, feeling a bit disoriented, before realising that most of his clothes had been neatly packed away or put into the laundry basket. 

He knew that it was probably Illumi who cleaned up since his room was a constant mess but at least he had known where everything was. Now, Hisoka didn't know where anything was. 

“I'll have to put my things back later,” Hisoka mumbled to himself. 

The redhead left his room and entered the equally clean lounge, sluggishly pacing towards the knocking at his apartment door. He gently swung the door open and Hisoka's sleepy expression became a scowl as he looked at the uninvited guest. 

“What do you want?” Hisoka asked as he stepped aside to let Chrollo in. 

Lucilfer looked around for a bit before his nose crinkled in mild disdain. “It smells like sex in here,” he commented as he wearily sat in one of the chairs at the kitchen island. “Is that Zoldyck boy gone yet?”

“As if you could complain about the smell of sex,” Hisoka scoffed while pouring himself a mug of freshly made coffee. “And, yes, he's gone.”

Chrollo hummed as his grey eyes watched the other male move around the kitchen. “I'm guessing that you didn't tell him about the little talk you and I had before you left yesterday?” 

Hisoka froze, his grip tightening around the handle of the mug. “No. I didn't.” 

Lucilfer watched him stiffen in amusement, a smile forming across his thin lips. He had pulled Hisoka to the side the day before, ruining his chances of slipping from the Troupe hideout unnoticed. 

However, what the leader had told him in that corridor only made a sharp sense of dread fill Hisoka's chest. 

“I'm surprised that you didn't.” 

“It would have been reckless to do so…” especially since Illumi would not hesitate to kill all of us. Including me. 

Yet, Hisoka thought back to the kiss they had shared last night—filled with so much affection and hesitation. In the year that they'd shared, not once had Illumi ever kissed him like that. The thought of it made him wonder whether Illumi had begun to care for him. 

But Chrollo's next words made Hisoka snap out of his thoughts. “Then, I suppose everything will go as planned.” He watched as Hisoka took a sip of his coffee, the older man avoiding all forms of eye contact. “It's such a shame we're no longer together, you used to be so obedient.” 

“That's because you used to threaten me, you asshole,” Hisoka spat angrily, but the memory of the events made his voice crack. 

“Really? It didn't appear that way to me,” he answered with a shrug. 

Maybe because you weren't on the receiving end, the redhead thought silently. 

“But that hint of fear in your eyes does look familiar. It reminds me of the times you crawled into my bed and begged me to—” 

“Shut up! You know that's not what happened so just shut up!” 

The unexpected outburst only made Chrollo hold back a smile. “Come on now, aren't you overreacting just a bit?”