20.

20.

It was the day of the operation and things were tense between everyone. Especially between Kurapika and Leorio since the blond had delayed admitting to his new job. Now the two of them were at the harbour, sending Gon off to Whale Island to visit his aunt Mito while Kurapika was away.

Kurapika had asked the boy to check his small suitcase to make sure nothing was missing while they used that opportunity to talk to Leorio. “Okay, it takes 12 hours for the ship to travel from here to Whale Island so he should be there by 7 pm. Please remember that he's gonna be staying there for 3 nights, so Thursday at 8 pm, you'll have to pick him up. You've got all of that Leorio?”

Even though Leorio didn't want to hear a thing that Kurapika was saying, he still listened carefully for the sake of Gon. He didn't want anything happening to the little guy if he was late. “Yeah, I've got it.”

“Are you gonna continue to stay mad at me?” They asked with a sigh, arms folded over their chest.

The doctor shrugged and squeezed the bridge of his nose. “I don't know Kurapika but what I do know is that you lied to me. Again. You told me that you quit.”

“I did quit, Leorio! As soon as Gon had entered Junior High, I was done but I can't turn down this job,” Kurapika whispered angrily so that the boy couldn't hear. “Too much is at stake.”

“Oh, so this job is more important than your family? More important than your own son?” It was pure silence after that was said and Leorio felt tears stinging his eyes. “I just wish that you would think of Gon's safety before accepting those jobs.”

Kurapika let their eyes fall to the ground, not willing to face Leorio's teary gaze. “Why do you think I'm sending him away?”

The tall male's eyes widened in surprise but before he could say anything, a small voice interrupted their conversation. “Kurapika-san, why am I going to visit Mito-san? I only see her during the holidays.”

Kurapika crouched in front of him so that they was just below his eye level and smiled sweetly. “Well, I'm not going to be at home for a few days because I have work and I need someone I really trust to take care of you because Leorio will be working extra shifts.”

“Why can't I just stay at Killua's house?”

“Because his parents already have 5 kids and I don't think it will be nice for you to intrude.”

“But their house is huge—”

“Gon,” Kurapika scolded.

The boy released a huff and looked away shamefully. “I'm sorry… Well, why can't Melody-san take care of me, you trust her?”

“Melody, lives too far away, sweetie…”

“Then, what about school? I can't not show up for four days?”

The blonde sighed and shook their head. “Gon, sweetie, I just need you to stay with your aunt for 3 nights, okay? And Leorio will pick you right up once you get to the harbour, so please just listen to me.”

Gon was silent before his gaze hardened and he tilted his face downwards. “But I don't wanna go…”

“Gon, you don't understand. I—” Tears fell onto Kurapika's hands that were firmly grasping Gon's and the adult's eyes widened in worry. “Gon?”

The young boy furiously wiped at his tears before clenching his fists at his sides. “Kurapika-san, you promised me that you quit but now you're sending me away because of your work! I don't want you to go and I don't want to go either… W-Why can't you just quit and do something safer like you promised?!”