12.

12. 

Killua was lost in thought as he sat next to Gon during lunch, his tanned friend humming under his breath as he ate his sandwich. The white-haired boy smiled to himself, wondering how he managed to look so cute doing the simplest things. 

The shorter boy noticed his stare and looked at him with curious brown eyes, raising a questioning brow. "What?" Gon asked with his mouth still full. 

Killua cringed at the sight and slowly shook his head, turning his gaze away from him. "I'm just thinking," he said with a shrug. 

"About?"

"My brother, Illumi. He got engaged recently." 

"Oh," Gon said excitedly. "Is the person nice?"

The white-haired boy nodded. "Yeah, she really is but," Illumi's pained expression during his conversation with Zeno flashed across his mind, "I don't think he has feelings for her. It's probably one of those weird business marriages." 

Gon nodded sadly, attempting to understand. "Well, then I guess that's bad. Do you think he'll like her eventually?" 

Killua thought about it in silence. Not once in his life had he ever seen Illumi bring someone home to meet his parents or at least heard of him being in any form of relationship. Maybe he just wasn't interested in dating? But if he was, he was very good at hiding it. 

"Probably not," Killua finally replied while shaking his head. He let his blue gaze momentarily look at Gon before clearing his throat. "So, are you free today? I was wondering if we could hang out." 

"No, sorry," his friend said apologetically, "Leorio-san's taking me fishing. But you can tag along if you want?" 

The white-haired boy thought about the last time he went fishing with Leorio and Gon and shuddered with disgust. The fish they had caught together last time only brought him nightmares. "I think I'll sit this one out. You two have fun though." 

"Okay," Gon said with a small giggle that made Killua blush. 

Killua didn't know when his crush even started but he knew that he had liked Gon for the longest time yet the idea of telling him felt so nerve-wracking. He didn't even know how he would come across the topic. 

Why was this so stressful?

His friend looked at him and bumped his shoulder with his, a small frown between his dark brows. "You're making that face again." 

"What face?" Killua asked in pure confusion. 

"I don't know, you kind of look like this," he said and began to imitate the expression, making Killua burst out into a fit of laughter. 

"What are you even doing?" He inquired between laughs. "You look so—" cute. "—weird."

Gon huffed and shook his head. "I was only making the same face as you. Besides, you look weirder than me when you do it," he retorted with a small frown. "But anyway, what has you looking so worried?"

The white-haired boy awkwardly averted his eyes to the floor, his pale cheeks taking on a light pink tint. "It's something I've been thinking about telling you," he mumbled and Gon stared at him expectantly. "I've been wanting to say that I like..." Killua looked down towards their hand–so close to each other, fingertips barely touching. "I like, um..." You. You. You! "I like boys." Shit.

Well, it might not have been what Killua had initially wanted to say but at least he had told Gon part of it. 

Speaking of his friend, he was now looking at the Zoldyck with furrowed brows, almost as if he was thinking about something. "Well, thank you for telling me," Gon told him with a smile, choosing his next words carefully. "I'm happy to know that you could trust me with that. I mean, I think I like boys too but I also like girls. Is that...weird?"