Twenty-Two

Grace's POV

"There's my favorite daughter in law." Narcissa said walking to Astoria. "Mother we would have to be married for that. And she would also be your only daughter in law cause I'm an only child." Draco said. "Shush." Narcissa said hello to everyone else as the group said hello to the other adults while I quietly hid in the back. I felt something bump into me. A house elf. "Take the trunks upstairs to the rooms." Lucius said. "Put Miss Weasley's with Tom's." Narcissa added and sent me a smile. "Do we really think that's such a good idea." Someone said from behind me. "Mother." Mattheo said. "Surprised she actually showed." Bellatrix walked around me and tapped her wand on the side of my head. "Thought I wouldn't?" I asked. "Don't get ahead of yourself Weasley. I'm just waiting for the okay from the Dark Lord to let me have my fun with you and then..."

"Bella." Narcissa said. "The dark lord specifically said not to hurt the girl." Lucius added. "For now. I'm sure he'll change his mind." Bellatrix walked away. I kept my posture straight and my head held high. "We'll let you kids get situated. Dinner will be at seven." Narcissa said before her and Lucius both walked away. I let out the breathe I was holding in. "That went better than I thought it would." Draco said. "You guys really need a better definition of well." I said. "You'll get used to it. And Bellatrix will warm up to you." Astoria says. "Oh yes cause wanting to kill me is warming up to me."

We all went upstairs to get settled in. "The good part about this is you get to stay with me." Tom says pulling me closer to him by my waist. "With a death threat from your mother." I release myself and sit on the end of the bed. Tom standing in front of me. "She's not going to hurt you. Me, Narcissa, and everybody else won't let her."

"The lengths we have to go to just to be together isn't right. It's not fair." I said. "My father made it clear she can't put a hand on you Grace. Your safe-" I cut him off "For now." I mumbled.  "Grace look at me." He got down to my level and lifted my chin. "I promise you I'll keep you safe. Always." I just nodded my head. He didn't bother to say much more. The message was clear to both of us. I knew he meant what he said and he knew that no matter how much I cared for him I know we won't work out and I can't fully trust his words. "I'm gonna talk to Mattheo." He left the room. I sat there like an idiot. I eventually got up to explore the house a little. I somehow had ended up in the library where I heard some voices. "Mattheo this is serious." Tom voice. "You took me to the library to talk about this because?" 

"Because it'll be harder for people to find us in here. Grace doesn't trust me." He said. "Tom she's scared. No matter how much you promise to keep her safe you forget our father is always one step ahead." I leaned against a end table a little to listen more and to try and get a clearer view. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Just give her time." I accidentally knocked over a vase. Once the sound of the vase hit the floor it went silent. "Did you hear that?" Mattheo asked. I quickly ran behind one of the shelves. Close enough I could still see and hear them a little but they wouldn't notice me unless they actually came looking. It was still silent for a few minutes before - "What are you doing here?" Mattheo asked. I jumped. "Mattheo!" Tom came down from the other end. "I was looking around the house. I bumped into the table and then I heard you say something so I hid." I said.

"I'll deal with this." Tom said. Mattheo walked away. I turned around. "Tom I-" He cut me off. "How long were you spying?" He asked. "What?"

"Don't play dumb Grace. How long where you listening in on my conversation with my brother?" He said sounding more mad this time. "Since you said I didn't trust you. But Tom-" I tried to walk closer to him but he stepped back. "So you really don't trust me?" This time just sounding hurt. "I do trust you. I just-"

"You don't spy on people you trust Grace." He said. "Tom I- I wasn't doing it because I don't trust you. I just heard you talking about me and I was curious. I'm sorry." I said. He looked at his watch. "It's almost seven. Dinner will be ready soon. You should go get ready. I'm sure the girls are looking for you." 

"Tom." I said softly. "Just go Grace." I walked past him and out of the library running down the stairs and outside. "Grace. Grace!" Pansy yelled as I ran past the living room.

Tom's POV

Me, Draco, Mattheo, and Blaise all walked downstairs for dinner. I felt terrible for how me and Grace left things in the library but maybe Mattheo was right. Maybe we both just needed a break. "Grace!" We heard Pansy yell. We all looked at eachother and ran into the room they were in. "What's happening?" Draco asked. "We don't know she just ran into the garden. Looked like she was crying." Astoria said. "Tom." Mattheo said. "Go to her." I know what the rest of the context he meant as he was speaking. I went out into the garden to look for her.

Damn this girl is good at hiding.