45

Paramore - The Only Exception

By nightfall, a warm evening lit up by beautiful stars, Rory arrived in front of a colonial era styled mansion; with reddish brown terracotta roofing and smooth white walls. It reminded her of the mansion in Bogotá with its rectangular structure. Except this one wasn't in an excluded and private neighbourhood, it was in the middle of a bustling city.

Instead of a floral courtyard that she was used to, the first level of the mansion donned an outdoor swimming pool and a jacuzzi. It was surrounded by plants and vines weaving around the arched openings and dark wood deck wrapped around the second level of the mansion.

"It's beautiful." She whispered, taking in the entrance with its brass gates and cobblestone floors.

"It is, isn't it?" Jairo chirped carrying her bags inside. "It's my favourite mansion to visit."

"Does anyone live here?" She glanced around - the place was immaculate, sleek and clean.

"Yes, and here they came."

Rory spun in the direction of Jairo's gaze and landed on 2 figures trotting their way. A man and woman, perhaps in their forties and fifties, were dressed rather formal in black slacks and ties, and navy pencil dress.

"Hola, Señora Torres!" The woman, hazel nut hair tied in a neat bun atop her head and light blue eyes. The moment Rory came within arms length, she embraced her as if she had known her for years. "Welcome home."

"Thank you." She replied in confusion. Surprised by the warm welcome.

"Nice to meet you Señora." The man greeted with a nod. He was tall with a shaved head, chocolate eyes and a greying bread. "I'm Daniele and this is my wife Antonella."

"Nice to meet you." Rory smiled settling into the comfortable atmosphere. "I'm Rory."

"We know!" His wife chuckled, lacing her arms with Rory's and leading her away from the entrance. "We were at the wedding!"

She glanced behind her and seeing Jairo and Daniele gathering her bags off the cobblestone floors. Antonella's description of her wedding half a year ago fell on death ears.

"I'll take you to the master bedroom." Antonella informed her.

Nodding, Rory let her take the lead when she observed her surroundings. From the opened wooden doors letting the night air dance in, blowing the light chiffon curtains. Whenever she walked, the  open panel doors gave her a peak of the swimming pool outside. Ahead of her, Rory spotted a checkered floor dining hall and wooden staircases with iron railings spiralling upstairs.

They climbed the stairs together while Antonella continued to blabber about the perks of the master bedroom. She opened the double doors with brass hinges revealing a spacious room with a giant bed lined with Egyptian cotton. There were bifold doors that opened onto a wrap around balcony connecting the to the rest of the rooms and providing a beautiful sight of the pools below.

"It's so beautiful." Rory commented, stepping into the balcony here a hammock hung among the rattan outdoor furniture. "I don't understand how Gideon doesn't live here instead."

"It used to be the Torres' family holiday home." Antonella beamed while the gentlemen placed her belongings on the floor. She dismissed them but Rory knew Jairo won't stray far. "Sometimes Gabriela stays here or Catalina."

"Catalina?"

"Your mother in law." Antonella answered then frowned. "I guess you never met her. She hasn't been back to Colombia for years not even for her own son's wedding."