56

Tate McRae - don't come back

The flames blew smoke into the sky, blanketing the blue canvas in black. Heatwaves rolled off the van and seemed to scorched anyone that near it. The only option was to wait for the fire department to arrive which meant anyone who was trapped inside was dead or burning alive.

A pained sob bubbled out from her as the imagine of her husband trapped inside the flames - burned and blistered -  surfaced. No, he wasn't gone, she told herself, he can't be because he was strong and invincible.

But he was still a mere man and subjected to the conditions that could kill them.

Rory fumbled with the car door and still it won't open thanks to Luci's child lock. With clenched hands, she banged her fists against the glass until her knuckles redden from the force. Desperately she attempted to get out and get to her husband as if anyone inside the wreckage still had a surviving chance.

"Please! Please! Let me out." She begged as the tears blurred her vision. "I want to go to him, please." Her voice bubbled and broke, she pleaded, "I need to go to him, please!"

Rolling her eyes, Luci ignored her and started the engine. As she watched the fire burned out, she felt a sense of accomplishment. Finally, the man who had sullied her life and the life of her loved ones was put into the ground. He deserved nothing less than a painful death.

Like all the merciless years he had ruled over Colombia, Luci intended to show him none too.

As she pulled out the parking lot, Rory's scream grew louder and more desperate to the point, Luci worried someone in the precinct might actually hear them.

Rory twisted and turned in her seat while doing all she could to get the door to open or the windows to break.

"Please!" She cried, "Please turn back around!"

A sharp pain pulsed in her chest. Like, someone had dragged a knife along her flesh and ripped out her heart while she watched the wreckage disappeared in the distance. Rory's lips trembled and she rested her head against the glass. Once and twice she banged her head helplessly against it.

So many unsaid things needed to be said between them and now they would never get the chance because her husband was dead.

Gideon Torres was dead.

Another heart aching scream crawled out her throat at the realisation; painful and utterly pitiful.

Pitiful.

Eventually, with her hand laying on her bump, a calmness settled in the car. Green eyes slanted to the side, to Luci who appeared far from remorseful for killing her flesh and blood. She looked hopeful - happy even. And that rubbed Rory in the wrongest fucking way possible.

Before she could even considered her actions, Rory dived; grabbing the steering wheel causing the car to swerve in the road.

A struggle played ensued between them; with Rory losing sight of her condition. In that moment, when those flames were still burning brightly, she wanted nothing more than to burn along with those flames. To let her flesh set alight; to cry in agony and she suffer for all the wrong choices she made.

A feeling, nothing like she ever felt before, tore through her chest. Ripping out her heart and crashing it under an impossible weight.

Was this what it felt like when your soul cuts into two? When you lose your other half?

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Luci gasped, taking back the wheel and halting to a stop on the side road.

She faced Rory who wore a smug look; one she had never seen the girl wear. Her green eyes pulsing with something dark. Crazed.