8. Unfamiliar Sensations

"You mean Milan," I said. He did say he preferred transparency. "Right?"

"Aubyn and Milan are as close to family to me as they can get without blood relation," Mr S replied. "They are very important to me."

"My presence won't bring about any crazies," I tried assuring him. "I'm not involved with drug dealers or shady gangsters. I'm just someone who doesn't have the best home life and wants to be able to stand on his own. That's why I'm accepting the help... for now."

"So long as we are clear."

We continued slicing vegetables and I continued to watch and do the things he did. We made cheesy omelettes that were bursting with the numerous stir-fried vegetables inside. Cooking the food wasn't hard. Everything was just stirred around in a frying pan then expertly wrapped in an egg burrito... somehow. I hadn't gotten to do that part. He must have known I'd fail.

There was only one thing I did on my own and that was toast the slices of bread. Mr S had been right about shopping needing to be done. We nearly cleared out the entire fridge. The only things left inside were a few fruits and vegetables and sauces.

"Since you want me to be transparent about everything, does that mean you will be transparent with me about everything?" I asked once we started setting the table. "Because I know you're not human."

"I'm a vacura," Mr S said. "It is not a secret. Were my fangs not a dead giveaway?"

I shook my head. I had noticed his pointy canines. "Aubyn has pointy teeth too, and he says he's not a vacura."

"Oh, you are right about that. Speaking of Aubyn, are you done trying to get him to sleep with you?" he asked.

I cringed. "You make it seem like I've been pestering him. If he doesn't want to fuck me, he doesn't have to."

Mr S chuckled. "I think it is the 'how' that bothers him. Not the actual deed."

A relationship sounded like just sex to me, though with a lot more headache. "Do you know the difference between a one-night stand and a nonromantic sexual relationship?"

"One is more consistent. I used to prefer not being tied down to one person because it was convenient. My job requires me to travel sometimes for weeks to months at a time so I did not have time for a relationship, but I do have certain... Uhm..."

"Needs you have to meet?" I asked.

"No. Sex is not a need. It is a want tied to desire. However, I like the experience, so I do engage."

I couldn't wholeheartedly agree with him. I tried to imagine going the rest of my life without having sex again and my brain nearly short-circuited. "Okay, so you said you used to. What changed? Got a taste of a more permanent arrangement and preferred it?"

He shrugged. "Something like that. I was content with brief agreements and one-night stands though. They serve their purpose. Quick and convenient. However, there is no bond between you and someone you have sex with and leave behind. I saw no use in doing anything different because of my job until I met someone worth changing for. I used to tease Aubyn about his ways, but he is from a different culture than I am where such casual sex is frowned upon."

I sighed and leaned against the table once I put the last fork down. "I don't get this bond you mentioned. He said the same thing too."

"Do you have any close family?"

"No."

"Close friends?"

"Uh... Rikki, a girl from my school."