34. Decisions, Decisions

I was so overwhelmed, I was on the verge of tears. I felt like I was dreaming like this wasn't all that real and after years of saving and thinking about it, I was finally losing my mind from the stress and the worry.

I was just given a golden ticket to leave Earth. This was what I wanted. Not only that, but this opportunity also came with the chance to stay with Aubyn if he'd have me. I would work alongside him in a position I'd never expected my novice ass to score as my first job. The goodbye I was fearing wouldn't come. At least not yet.

The binder on the dangers was full of intimidating yet interesting information. Dragons were real. That movie I'd watched with everyone wasn't fantasy after all. There was so much that could go wrong in a country on a planet that was not developed with human life in mind. Aside from the scary beasts, it mentioned the difference in the way of life and the atmosphere that I may have difficulty adapting to. It was like a book of signs telling me to stay my ass on planet Earth where I was fully aware of the dangers.

Milan lived on Karys for years and he was as fine as he could be considering how weird he was. He didn't have any complaints and every now and then he'd say he missed it there and couldn't wait to go back. With him, Sang, and Aubyn with me, what could possibly go wrong? That thought didn't stop me from badgering Milan with questions on the way back to the hotel though.

When we got back, Sang was the only one home. "Where's Aubyn and Coen?" I asked.

"Aubyn was getting on my last nerve so I sent him out to be productive and he took Coen with him." Sang looked just about done when he said so, rubbing his temples.

"Can we talk?" I asked, sitting on the couch a couple feet away.

"Absolutely. I can't imagine how many questions you might have. Siele-sumeo called to tell me that the interview went well the second you left."

Her name... "She told me to call her Siele-suan. Why do I have to say it differently?"

Sang rolled his eyes. "It's called an honorific. Suan means Mrs, and sumeo means senior. It is respectful of me to call her that because she is my supervisor. Do not forget to add -suan when you say her name. Now, stop stalling. What is it that you want to talk about?"

I sighed. I'd gladly take an honorifics lesson than have a serious conversation, but it had to be done. "Why didn't you and Aubyn tell me what the interview really was?"

Sang pursed his lips as he thought. "If Aubyn had approached you with a solution to your problem that doubled as your unexpressed wish, wouldn't you have taken it without hesitation or second thought? Taking this job is an opportunity to move to Othanai and keep seeing Aubyn, but it also comes with risks that you might have dismissed or not taken seriously due to the obvious upsides."

"You think I would have disregarded the risks of moving to Karys just because it meant staying close to Aubyn? How stupid do you think I am?"

Sang raised one thick eyebrow at me, silently calling me on my bullshit. "I know you would have been that stupid because Milan made the same choice."

"Hey!" Milan yelled from the kitchen. "Leave me out of this!"

"He chose to go to Karys with you-" I started.

"And did not take the potential risks seriously," Sang finished. "I am not saying that something will definitely go wrong if you decide to take the job and move, but you need to weigh the risks."

"Is it bad that no matter how much I've read in this binder I can't imagine changing my mind?" I asked him. "I don't want to come off as reckless, but Aubyn aside, if I don't take the chance now, there is no guarantee I'll make it there. You guys leave soon, so I'd be on my own. I don't want to have to say goodbye, so even if it means Vins will slash me to pieces, I'd get bitten into and drained by a random vacura, or I'd be burned to a crisp by the breath of a dragon, I want to go with you guys."