Chapter 20: The fool on the hill

Maya's POV

"So Maya, I sincerely hope that you have already planned our last days." John said, giving up on his glass-throwing and sitting down.

"Hello bird." Brian waved at me

"Hello." I smiled timidly. Paul sat closer to me.

"So, really Maya, what have you planned?" George picked up the topic. I shrugged, embarrassed.

"I should pack and warn my father first, don't you think?" I said and John chuckled

"I could bake a cake." I proposed

"Can I throw a couple of things in there too?" Keith said and I snickered

"Sure thing." I said with a wink. Mick came in, his arm around a very pretty woman.

"Marianne. Where were you hiding, love?" Brian exclaimed

"Anita sends you her love." she said with an easy smile

"Hello." she then said to all of us

"This is Marianne Faithfull." Keith said, winking at me.

"John, George, Ringo and that's Paul." Brian pointed at each of them

"The famous Beatles." she exclaimed, her smile getting wider. She looked so happy and she was so pretty.

"That's Maya, a french bird, Robert over there and James, not from the Yardbirds." Mick finished with a sweeping gesture. Marianne turned her gaze at me and her brown eyes softened, she winked and sat on the edge of the bed. Robert was watching her with wide-eyes, he liked her music a lot.

"Nice to meet you Maya.'' she said, her voice soft

"Nice to meet you Marianne."I said offering my hand for her to shake but she surprised me with a kiss on the cheek.

"So what did I miss?" Mick said, taking my carton of cigarettes from the floor and lighting one.

"Maya was telling us about how she was going to bake a cake." Keith said with a laugh as Mick looked strangely back at me. His smile never stopped being flirty though, even when he wrapped an arm around Marianne. Robert talked to her, his eyes glinting with emotion as they talked about her music. I grinned. My gaze turned to Jimmy, engrossed in a conversation with Keith on guitars and blues. I smiled and felt my heart ache as I realized that I was stepping a little farther away from my friends but feeling Paul's hand wrapped around mine made the feeling easier to deal with. I stood from the couch, giving Paul a peck on the lips and sat on the floor beside George. He had his eyes closed and he was humming. I poked his nose, waiting for him to react.

"Yes?" he said without opening his eyes, knowing that it was me.

"Thank you for my book."I said and he smiled. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked towards the phone, chuckling when I heard John exclaim from behind me " Oy don't I get one of those too?"

I grasped the phone, realizing that my hands were shaking as I dialed my father's office number.

"Oui?" he said

"Papa...?"

"Maya? Tout va bien?"

"Oui. Oui."

" Alors...?"

"I wanted to tell you something."

"Yes?"

"Well. You see."

" Is that singing I hear?"

"Yes that's Marianne Faithfull."

"You're leaving, aren't you?"