Chapter 19: I should have known better

Paul's POV

I was about to head towards her, but Robert beat me to it.

So close yet so far. Have I told you to shut up today, yet? I believe not. Well please do.

"I should start regulating your mushroom inducing, I swear. " Robert reprimanded while he gave her a hug.

"Fabulous clothes by the way. Très chic." he exclaimed sarcastically, eyeing her clothes. They seemed awfully familiar to me and I chuckled when I realized that they were mine.

This has to be a good sign, right? Maybe, maybe not. Thank you, positive conscience.

"Ey' Paul." John groaned from the floor. His hair was all ruffled and he kept squinting. George had sat down in front of the television and he was staring at it blankly, changing the channels absentmindedly.

"What happened?" I managed to ask before Robert

"I don't know." she said with a chuckle

"I found the center of the earth." John said with a laugh

"Where is it?" George called from the couch

" Erm... Some degrees south and a few west." he responded hesitantly

"How precise." George snorted in response

"Shall someone go get the others?" John asked from the floor.

"I'll go." Maya chimed in, getting up and stretching.

"I'll come with you." I said, ready to take advantage of this opportunity. No one seemed to object, not even Robert, with his big blue scrutinizing eyes.

"Ready when you are." I told her and she smiled, combing her hair with her fingers and walking up to me.

"Let's go." she said with a smile and we headed out. The corridor was lively with the sound of morning chatter, we stepped in the elevator, having to squish into the farthest corner, causing us to be pressed together and almost kissing.

I'm not going to lie, I am enjoying this. Oh, I know you are.

We got out of the elevator, all making a chorus of "excusez-moi"s and "bonne journée"s. The morning was fresh and sunny, people walked to work. We walked side by side, not talking for a while.

Say something. Like what? I don't know Mr Casanova. I believe that you know more than I do about wooing women. Don't say anything stupid though.

She surprised me by taking my hand, and lacing her fingers with mine. Her hand was cold and I gave it a squeeze. She smiled out of the corner of her mouth and I wondered, struggling with words.

Start from the start and stop at the end. Hilarious.

"Maya."

" I love you." those three words made me freeze in the midde of the street. She giggled and smiled widely.

"What. How. But." I managed to whisper out

"I love you too Maya." I said steadily as she threw herself in my arms. I wrapped my arms around her and inhaled her sweet strawberry aroma. She buried her face in the crook of my neck. She looked up and she kissed me softly. I kissed her back and we melted into each other. I felt this buzzing sensation inside me.

Buzzing happiness. You sound like a bird. Alright.

We heard a foreign click sound but we didn't pay any attention to it, happy that we were there, kissing in the middle of a crowded Parisian street, like a good clichéed movie.