Chapter 22: I'm Only Sleeping

Robert's POV

Marianne ran through the field, letting her hair fly wildly around her as it got caught by the breeze. Then, she slipped inside and I saw no more of her. I walked a little quicker, zipping up my jacket as I felt the breeze freeze the air in my lungs.

Paul's POV

I followed Robert's mane, humming to a random song. John and Ringo were laughing over a dirty joke and I rolled my eyes. My thoughts were stained with jealousy as I thought of Mick.

What have we said about this? Not enough to make the jealousy stop. Oh, dear. Just don't hit him or do anything to prove your virility because you'll just end up looking ridiculous, alright? Fine. Who do you choose to be now? Samuel Beckett, maybe. Or someone from the theatre of the Absurd. The absurdity of the situation shall determine my state of mind. Oh, wonderful. Absurdity instead of melting clocks and elephants, what a radical change. What a marvelous improvement. One word. What? Godot.

I opened the door, just in time to catch a flirty comment coming from Mick and adressed to Maya as Marianne ran off to the kitchen. I took a calming breath, managing a smile and went to stand beside her, wrapping an arm around her waist. John, George, Jimmy and Keith came in after me, chuckling even louder. They were rather merry, and I knew that it had to do with the slightly happy fogginess that the joint had given us all.

''Who knows how to cook here?'' Marianne said,  giggling and wiping flour from her cheek as she came out of the kitchen.

''Oh, me.'' George said. Maya detached herself from me.

''Oh, no you don't George. Don't make a mess out of my kitchen.'' she reprimanded in a motherly tone. She even made him lower his head as if he were a surrendering puppy. 

''I'll help you Marianne.'' she said with a smile, grabbing George's arm along the way and closing the kitchen door behind her. 

Are you going to be jealous of Marianne too? I was considering it... You can't be serious. Of course i'm not serious. Although...

I sat down on the couch and lit a cigarette. The others sat around me too, entering into the dazed state.  Keith was fixated on his shoes when he seemed to remember something and he stood up, shouting.

''MAYA, WAIT. I HAVE THE SHROOMS.'' he said with an urgency that made me start laughing so hard that my stomach began to hurt

''DID YOU SAY SHROOMS?'' Mick suddenly said, coming out of his daze. He was about to stand up but John wrapped both arms around him and pinned him down.

''Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.'' he hushed him as he caressed his hair ''Down boy. Down boy.'' he kept on petting him and Mick purred like a cat.

Is this really happening or...? It's absurd, isn't it? At least they're not talking to invisible people. Yet. Or transforming into rhinoceros. Yet. OR TURNING INTO MELTING CLOCKS. YET. HA, beat you to it. What was in that joint, Paul? I don't know. Should I want to know? 

Maya's POV

''Sit down. The three of you. NOW.'' I said with as much authority as I could. Consequently, they all stopped moving and dropped to the floor.

Marianne had her hair powdered with flour, Keith had his face smeared with chocolate and George had his mustache covered with sugar which made him seem like a coke-head. The floor was sticky with molten butter and the counter was stained with chocolate. They had made such a mess and I couldn't even be angry about it. My only urge was to burst out laughing but I had to keep this authoritarian facade that I was presenting so I could get the brownie done as soon as possible without making such a mess. For a moment, I felt like the Red Queen. The joint had given me a certain light-headedness and I felt that I could scream 'off with their heads' without a hesitation. I poured the batter into the tray and slipped it into the oven. I looked around in the drawers and got out a few kitchen towels. I threw them at each of them and they looked at me with the eyes of grounded puppies.