Chapter 21: Any time at all

George's POV

As soon as there was a knock on the door I jumped up, knowing that it meant the arrival of food. I opened the door to find a young man in a suit, with a trolley, carrying a few plates of covered food.

"Room service,Mr Harrison?" he said politely,with a small smile that seemed to contain his excitement.

"Yes, it's here. Thank you."

" IS THAT FOOD?" I heard Maya shout and she appeared beside me.

"Oh. Hello. Thank you." she said, blushing a little.

"Hello Maya." the waiter said softly, smiling.

"Hello Daniel."

"You haven't come in a while. " he said and she blushed even deeper

"I know. I've been busy, I've been writing."

"You have? Well you have to let me read some time."

" I will." she said

He was about to add something but he seemed to stop himself. He nodded slightly.

"Well,I should go, nice seeing you Maya, have a nice lunch Mr Harrison. " he said, turning around and walking fast, light on his feet. I pushed the trolley inside, putting it in front of the couch and sitting down. I grabbed the first dish and uncovered it. Hot steam flew to my face, carrying with it the distinctive smell of curry. I grabbed a fork and shoveled some lentil rice into my mouth. The taste of the curry, with the sweetness of the lentils made a perfect combination. I was so engrossed in my food that I hadn't even noticed that everyone had sat down around me, or more precisely, the couch, each with a dish at hand. Maya was in front of me.

I raised an eyebrow at her, referring to the waiter and, after chewing she mouthed 'PHOTOGRAPHY'. I cocked my head to the side, surprised, but I nodded my understanding. I tried to pay attention to the conversation as I savoured my meal.

"So, what are we doing tonight?" Brian was asking.

"I don't know." Mick and Marianne said at the same time

"Well..." Keith said, not eating but drinking from a new Jack Daniels bottle.

"I was planning to have a sort of goodbye party. Seeing as it will be my last night in Paris." Maya said and everyone nodded their agreement.

"That's good." Keith said "Can we still bake that cake?" he continued, waggling his eyebrows and elbowing her.

"Yes." she said with a laugh. Paul played around with his food. It was colored a reddish brown and it looked a lot like stew with red curry. He wrinkled his nose as he gave it a sniff and brought it up to his mouth. I awaited his reaction to the spicyness, I didn't have to wait long. His eyes got watery as he began to cough, he seemed to be gasping for air.  He took Keith's bottle from him and after taking a large gulp, he calmed down. I laughed at his unease and he glared at me. I finished my rice and asked Paul if he was going to eat his spicy meal. He shook his head, glaring some more and he handed it to me. Marianne widened her eyes at the amout of food I was ingesting but the others did not look very surprised. I tried a small portion of the stew, savoring the spices and the creaminess of the sauce. My tongue felt strangely numb, I loved that feeling. I finished my plate and sat back, satistified.

"Do any of you have a guitar?" Keith asked, putting down his empty bottle.

"Yes." I responded. "It's over there." I said, motioning to the closet. He stood up, swaying horribly as he went to get it. He came back quickly, cradling it in its case against his chest as if it were an anchor that could steady him. Keith sat down and took it out.