Part Sixty - One

The days that followed Sarah and Tommys moment at the canal had made things tense between the two of them. Sarah had immediately regretted it and was quick to flee the scene. She'd avoided tommy up to this point and was actually grateful for the distraction of the boxing match, she had even let Ada drag her dress shopping. Once the night of the fight arrived the atmosphere was buzzing, all eyes were on the women as they walked down the stairs to the match. Sarah had gone for a silk silver dress which had a slit to just above her knee. All five Peaky women stuck out amongst everyone else in the crowd, not that they cared since this was their first night out in ages. Soon the bell rang and the first round began. Everyone in the crowd instantly began cheering and Sarah had to refrain herself from joining in louder, chuckling quietly to herself whenever she saw Linda wincing and flinching every time a fist was thrown. She saw Tommy enter and take his seat next to Arthur across from them on the other side of the ring. They locked eyes for a moment as Tommy gave her a small nod, Sarah could tell he was acting off but wasn't sure if he was upset about her reaction after what happened or if he just felt awkward about it. Unless he was in fact, unnerved about something else entirely, but she didn't get much time to think about it as Ada had pulled her away, wanting to go to the bathroom. Walking in there they found Polly and Lizzie already in there against the sinks.

"Pol" Ada called out as soon she stepped into the bathroom "the fight is fixed isn't it?"

Sarah laughed at her as she checked herself out in the mirror

"Why else do you think that Bonnie kid is getting battered out there?" She smirked.

"Lizzie has some news." Polly announced with her eyes kept on Lizzie.

"Polly." Lizzie warned

"Well, tell them. While the men are screaming for blood." Sarah and Ada exchanged a confused glance with each other waiting to find out what was going on. Polly passed them a bottle of Sarah's gin, well Shelby gin "have a swig. You're gonna need it."

"I'm up the duff-" Lizzie sighed, both Ada and Sarah's jaws dropped as Ada took a swig full "-and it's Tommy's."

By this point Sarah grabbed the bottle and took an even bigger swig than Ada had.

"How far gone are you?" Ada gasped.

"If I were going to London I'd be in Coventry."

"And are you carrying on past Coventry?" Sarah asked straightening herself up

"All the way to fucking Piccadilly Circus." Lizzie told them with a smile.

Sarah couldn't help but smile at the analogy, after all a baby is a blessing.

"You found out whether she's having a boy or a girl, Polly?"

"No."

"Go on then."

Lizzie let out a squeal as Pol grabbed her breasts

"It's a girl. Call her Ruby. Ruby Shelby," Polly smiled, "She'll be a star in a Hollywood movie."

"Congratulations." Ada beamed.

"Yeah, congratulations." Sarah smiled happy for her friend, even if she wasn't thrilled about the father.

The door swung open and Linda entered the bathroom with her usual sour expression.

"Hey, Linda. Welcome to the extraordinary general meeting of the Shelby ladies club." Polly called out to the woman as she took a drag of her cigarette

"Is there spit on my back? There were men out there spitting. It's fucking disgusting." Linda said, ignoring Polly as she looked in the mirror.

"No, there's no spit on your back" Polly reassured her. Linda pulled out a familiar small blue vial and began emptying the contents onto the sink counter, her actions causing all the women to raise their eyebrows in surprise. "Don't let us stop you doing what you came in to do."