Part Sixty - Two

Sarah threw herself onto the couch and rested her head onto Polly's lap, much to her aunts surprise

"What's going on child?" She sighed putting her paperwork down, usually she'd do from her office in the betting den but with everything going on with Arthur's 'death' she found it easier to look through it from the comfort of her front room.

"My life's a mess Pol."

"Go on." The woman replied stroking Sarah's hair soothingly.

"Well, you know how me and Tommy have been on rocky footing since we got back?" Polly nodded "Well, we sort of moved past it and were good and friendly, and then I told him I wasn't Grace or one of his whores and then um...we had sex." Polly's eyes widened as she looked down at her niece who winced and nodded "then I regretted it and told him that and then at the boxing match Lizzie said she was carrying his baby and now I want to chuck myself in the cut. Although none of this matters because we'll probably be dead soon."

Polly let out a deep sigh, "Well that was a lot of information to take in."

"Yep." Sarah said, "what happened to me, Pol." She groaned as she sat up and buried her face into her hands

Polly let out a sad smile, "You met a sweet gypsy boy with bright blue eyes who lived on watery lane, that's what happened."

Sarah hummed as Polly stoped smiling and spoke with a stern voice "of course that was back then, now you're just a stupid woman."

Sarah scoffed and looked at her mother figure "Uh Pol! Talk about being harsh."

"It's the truth! You should know better."

"I know." Sarah whined

"What were you thinking?!" She scolded

"I wasn't! I just got caught up in the moment, I was somewhere that I felt safe, with the person that always made me feel safe and I don't know I just got tired of pretending that I didn't want him." She said throwing her hands up in the air as she spoke.

Polly watched her tortured expression "What made you realise it was a mistake?"

"It's not right. It didn't feel right, I mean don't get me wrong it definitely felt right like seriously I forgot what he could do with his-"

"Sarah!"

Sarah flushed not realising she'd gone off topic "Sorry...I just meant I know I still have feelings for James and I don't know having sex with Tommy when I still love another man makes it confusing. I was battling inside my mind about who I L-" sarah stopped herself not ready to say the words out loud.

"-about who you love more?" Polly offered, gently rubbing the girls back.

"Yeah" sarah nodded "when I left the canal I just kept thinking what do I do? Where do I go from here? And then the boxing match happened, and Lizzie is pregnant and it looks like the Changretta's will win."

Before Polly had a chance to offer any advice or comfort they heard approaching footsteps that belonged to the man of the hour.

"Have you told her then?" Tommy asked indifferently as he lit his cigarette.

Polly's eyebrow rose and Sarah's eyes widened at him being so casual about them having sex with Pol in the room. Granted she'd already told Polly but that was for advice not for it to be a group conversation.

"Excuse me?!" She squeaked making Tommy frown.

"Have you told her about Madeline?" He explained, finding himself confused by the relief that seemed to flood through his aunt and sarah. For such an intelligent man Tommy wasn't very good at noticing when other people were having heart to hearts.