chapter 30 ~ 'the end'

I sit on the kitchen counter as Lucinda puts the kettle on, watching the boys outside kicking a ball around.

"You're in love, aren't you hun?" Lucinda says and I snap out of my day dream.

"Oh, what makes you think that?"

"I know a lover's gaze when I see one. And you, missy, are in love with him. Aren't you?"

"You're right." I laugh nervously. "I do love Mattheo, immensely."

"And it's very clear he loves you back. You two are a match made in Heaven."

"Thank you Lucinda... but there's something I need to tell you."

"Yes Willow?"

"My father is dead." I tell her. "Me and Mattheo killed him.

"Oh sweet Merlin have mercy! We're free! You and Liam are free!" She exclaims in happiness as we embrace each other in a hug.

"All I got to figure out now is how to tell Liam."

Once the tea is made, I head outside and call out for them. "Tea is ready boys!"

"Coming!" They both say in unison, making me giggle. Liam runs inside and Mattheo takes his sweet time approaching me.

He places his hand on my hip and holds my cheek with his other hand, looking at me intensely. "I told Liam."

"Wait-"

"Yes. I broke the news to him. I figured that's be too hard on you."

"Thank you Mattheo, thank you. I never could have done it." He nods and we pause for a couple of moments, enjoining the peacefulness and looking around at the scenery and the aesthetic of it all.

"I wish everyday was like this for us." Mattheo says.

"I wish so too." I tell him.

"Let's get a house together." He says and my eyes widen. "Just the two of us, and Liam of course. Lucinda too."

"Mattheo, that's all I've ever wanted. I don't ever want to be separated from you."

"Don't worry my love, there'll never be a day where I'm not there by your side." He replies, planting a kiss on my forehead.

Hand in hand, smiles on our faces, we head back inside the cosy cottage, the smell of Lucinda's sweet tea hitting our senses.

This, this is what love is.