chapter 12 | A herd of cows

"Pelo" he whispers close to my ear as he plants kisses all over my cheek
"Babe"
"Pelo"
"Mandlebe"
(Big ears)

I say as I groan at him,  how is he still awake.
He laughs at me before he starts talking, probably because of the amount of anger displayed on my face and the name.
"What time is it"  I ask him as I start to rub the sleep away from my eyes.
"It's a bit after 5" he says after checking his watch. He's dressed in scrubs.
"I have a surgery at 7, but I have to attend a briefing with the team before we go in, if all goes well I'll be back home by 10, but I'll keep you updated" he says as plants some more kisses on my forehead, he smells fresh, like water and Lavender, and the fabric conditioner from his scrubs makes his smell ten times better.

"Don't you want to be a stay at home boyfriend, so I can get to cuddle you as long as I want ?"
"I think that's the best Idea I've heard all year"
He's kneeling on the floor and is approximately the same head Height as me. I Palm his cheek with my hand and I caress it.
"Do you really have to go ?" I whisper. I know he has to go but I'm just bieng naggy at the moment. Bieng a doctors girlfriend means that I have to share him with everyone else in the world.
"You know I really have to go" he says as he whispers back at me. This has been our routine when he has to leave me in bed for work.

"Your schedule has been awfully flexible, it was to be to good to be true"
He chuckles
"That's true, but I'll be back home as soon as you can say you miss me" and he kisses my nose.

"Ohkay I love you" I tell him
"I love you more, let me go and give mel kiss a good bye before she gets mad at me" he whispers, before he plants a kiss on my fore head.

He takes his bag and I watch him walk away.
I have to wake up in a hour so i can start preparing break fast for everyone else.

By past 6 im awake and i take a shower, get dressed and I make my way to prepare breakfast.
I start with boiling a hot pot of water and I start to cook some good old mabele, I felt a bit home sick today.

I made a full English breakfast, warmed up some muffins, croissant and some waffles for the boys and Mel and pancakes as well.
By 7 mah is the first one to get up and she finds me in the kitchen stirring the porridge.

"Morning mah"
"Morning Nana" she says as she warmly smiles at me and she sits on the bar stool.

"Should I dish up for you, I made some porridge"

"Ah yes please"

I take out two bowls and I dish up for the both of us.
I go around the island and I give her her bowl.
"You made Mabele? " She says as she pours some sugar in her porridge.
"Yes, it's my favorite " I say as sit next to her with my bowl in hand.
"You know when I was a little girl my mom used to make this for me, for breakfast"
"Mom used to make it for me too, I just felt a little home sick today"
"Oh where are you from ?"
"I'm from Pretoria, but originally from im rustenburg, North-west"

She nods her head at as she continues eating.
"It tastes exactly like my mother's, that bitter sweet kick at the end on the sides of your cheeks, is life".
She says as she rubs her index and thumb finger together.
I can't help but smile at her. Lunga was right about her, she's a very sweet soul.

"Ngan yam..." she calls out to me as she still proceeds with her eating.
"Yebo mah"
I learnt a bit Xhosa in these past few months, well lunga taught me .
"You know lunga is a very good boy, who has been through a lot, to get to where he is today."

She stops speaking, but I'm struggling to understand which direction this conversation is about to go.

"He had it rough but since he had that little girl, it's always just been the two of them... and somehow I feard that it would be like that forever, because he also deserves to love again after what he's been through. Everyone deserves to be loved"