Chapter 23 | The father in-law

Lunga

"What are you doing there"

She's standing next to me, holding her elephant teddy, trying to see what's on my laptop, she's peaking at it but she's too short to get the full view.
I lift her up and I put her on my thighs, she rest her back on me and cuddles her teddy.

I'm looking at brain scans for a patient of mine who is scheduled for an operation on Monday, I'm just trying to study further into this case, pelo is on the other side of the island preparing lunch. Fetichini Alfredo, she said and it honestly smells amazing.

"Why does this one look like a bunny"
Mel says as she points to a scan.

"It's the other side of the brain Mel and also parts where I'm supposed to help fix, because that bunny is also making him sick"
The bunny it looks like a bunny because his brain has three tumors which on the scan seem like a bunny.

"So bunnies kill people ?

"No they don't ?"
I say as I chuckle

"So will you be able to fix him ?"

"Yeah I think so"

I say as I kiss her cheek, and I continue looking at my laptop.

"Mommy says you work with head noodles"

I chuckle at her, and she starts to giggle a little, I look at pelo and she's smiling while doing whatever she's doing in that casserole.

"Literally brains looks like very thick noodles"
She comments. Whilst she still continues to chuckle

"You both have head noodles, we all have head noodles"

"No, I have head waffles, because I like waffles not noodles"

"Yes and I have head pancakes,because I like pancakes, your dad has the noodles"
Mel starts to die of laughter.

I'm honestly loving the relationship she has with Mel.
"I'm not about to arjue with you"
I tell them

"Daddys it's argue, it's argue not arjue"
She corrects at me as she raises her index finger. She's does that when she learns new words, corrects everybody.

"Mel it's arjue end of discussion"

"Mel don't arjue with your father"
Pelo chips in.
And she laughs.

The door bell rings. And Mel quickly jumps down my thighs and runs to answer it, I follow behind her and I open the door.

He's wearing a grey winter poloneck, some formal pants, boots and a trench coat. White hair visible on his mustache and his brush cut .

He looks at me just as confused as I am.

What the fuck is he doing here ?

Mel wraps her arms around my leg and hides behind it. She's shy. He's staring at Mel adoringly.

"What are you doing here ?"

"Why are you answering my daughters door ?"

"Daughter ?"

Pelo never mentions her dad, I've never even seen him before, and she hasn't said if he was dead or alive. And neither did he  mention that he had a daughter, I've known this man since I was sixteen. Not once has he mentioned having a child. The last time I saw him was when I told him I was leaving for Mel.

"Papa ?"

Pelo says behind me, surprised, but she starts smiling as she approaches the door, she starts to bounce around excitedly and finally she jumps into his embrace and they squeeze each other into a hug as she squeals.