2.6 The Spy

Star looked out the window as Steve drove them to get the bat. "Wait a sec, how big?" Steve questioned.

"First it was like that." Dustin said, holding his pointer finger and thumb out to show D'Art's tiny, original size.

"Now hes like this." Dustin stated, he held out his two hands, about 1 foot apart.

"I swear to god, man, its just some little lizard." Steve told him. "Okay?"

"It's not a lizard." Star spoke up, leaning forwards.

"How do you know?" Steve questioned.

"How do we know it's not a lizard?" Star retorted.

"How do you know its not just a lizard?" Steve repeated.

"Because his face opened up and he ate our cat." Dustin blurted making Star slap her forehead.

Steve just nodded awkwardly, parking his car up as he got to his house. He threw his keys to Dustin and opened the trunk to another car.

He picked up the bat, then drove to the siblings house. They brought the older boy to the back garden, showing him the locked up basement doors.

"I don't hear shit." Steve stated, holding his bat out to the floor, flashlight in his other hand.

"He's in there." Dustin confirmed, and Steve hit the doors lightly with the bat. He then hit it harder.

"All right, listen kids." Steve said, pointing the light in the eyes. "I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."

"It's not." Star promised.

"All right?" Steve warned.

"It's not a prank." Star sighed.

"Get it out of my face." Dustin requested.

"You got a key for this thing?" Steve asked.

Dustin fished the key out from his pocket and handed it to Steve. He unlocked it and slowly opened the doors, one at a time.

"Let me see that." Steve muttered, taking the flashlight and pointing it into the dark room.

"He must be further down there." Dustin stated. "I'll stay up here, just in case he tries to escape."

"I'll come down with you." Star offered but Steve sighed.

"No, stay here. Can't have you hurt." Steve muttered before slowly going down the stairs.

"Steve?" Dustin called after a minute or two. "Steve? What's going on down there?" Star jumped back in suprise when Steve pointed his flashlight towards them.