2.8 The Mind Flayer

A/n if ur confused by the chapter number read the a/n on my past chapter

Enjoy xxx

"You're positive that was D'Art?" Lucas asked as they walked through the woods.

"Yes. He had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin explained.

"He was tiny two days ago." Max added, walking beside Star.

"Well, he's molted three times." Star explained.

"Malted?" Steve asked.

"Molted." Dustin corrected. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked as they walked down the train track, the flashlights being their only light source.

"It's gonna be soon." Dustin said. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than cats." Steve muttered.

"Wait, cat?" Lucas questioned, stopping them. "D'Art ate a cat?"

"No, what? No." Dustin lied.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews?" Steve blurted put obliviously as he stood beside Max.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked, turning to Star who bit her lip.

"It's Dustin's and Star's cat." Steve gestured to the two.

"Steve!" They exclaimed in annoyance.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas exclaimed, pushing his shoulder.

"No! No. No, I... no, I..." Dustin stuttered making Star play with her fingers. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!" Lucas grumbled.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" Dustin justified.

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas argued.

"Guys, who cares? We have to go." Max stated.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas continued.

"So did you!" Dustin shouted.

"What?" Lucas asked.

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin exclaimed, pointing at Max.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed, moving back from the light Dustin shined in her eyes.

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas shouted.

"But I didn't, Lucas, okay?" Dustin snapped as Steve and Star heard screeching in the distance. "I didn't tell her! We both broke the rule of law, okay? We're even!"

Star looked into the woods, drowning out their arguing as her and Steve tried to determine where the noise was coming from.

"Guys!" Star shouted, gaining their attention, all suprised she had shouted.

"No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you headed towards the sound?" Max questioned as they ran into the woods. "Hello? Hello?"

Max sighed before quickly following them. They ended up in a slightly more open area, searching for where the sound was emanating from.