Buttons

"I can't believe it, I have a daughter," Jack says standing in front of the nursery with Mac standing beside him. 

"Well believe it, Jack, your little girl is here," Mac says patting Jack on the back. 

Just then they see the nurse bringing forward another bassinet. From what Jack can see so far the name card is pink. When the nurse stops in front of the open spot right in front of them, he sees his precious little girl. 

"There she is," Jack says breaking into a large grin, "isn't she beautiful.

"Yes, she is," Mac.

Jack stands there staring at the bundle he and Jackie created. The love he has for the little girl swaddled in the bassinet brings tears to his eyes. She lies there peacefully swaddled in her pink blanket unaware of those around her. He longs for the moment when he gets to hold her in his arms. 

"Mr. Kennedy," Jack hears a voice say to him. 

"Yes," Jack replies to where he heard the voice come from. 

"Mrs. Kennedy is ready to see you now," the young doctor says with a smile. 

"Thank you." 

Not wanting to leave his daughter, Jack tears himself away to go see his wife. 

He and Mac make their way down the long corridor before getting to the other side of the maternity ward. Once through the doors, they hear the chatter as well as the cries of other infants present. Stopping at the desk, they are greeted by a young nurse. 

"Hello, can I help you?" 

"Yes, I'm here to see my wife Jacqueline Kennedy," Jack replies. 

The nurse takes a look at the list of names on the clipboard. Locating Jackie's name she informs him of his wife's room number. With this information, he makes his way down the hallway until they reach room six o nine. 

Jack opens the door to see Jackie resting peacefully. The sun rays shone through the cracked blinds landing on Jackie's face and upper body. Giving her the innocent glow of an angel. He walks up to her placing a soft kiss on her lips. Just then her eyes flutter open to see her husband standing beside her. 

"Hey," she says with a smile.

"Hey you," Jack replies before taking her hand. 

"Did you get to see her? She's so beautiful."

"Yes, beautiful just like her mother. My little Buttons." 

Jackie gives a tired smile before adjusting herself to get comfortable even though her lower half is still somewhat numb from the epidural she received. 

"Hey Jackie, how are you," Mac says coming forward.

"Hello Mac, I'm doing well. How is everyone?" Jackie replies. 

"Everyone is great. Congratulations on your new daughter she's beautiful."

"Thank you," Jackie replies.

"Jack, I'm going to leave so you and Jackie have some time alone. I'll talk to you later," Mac says before leaving the two of them alone in the room. After they say their goodbyes Jack takes a seat next to his wife's bedside. 

"So Kennedy how does it feel, you now have a daughter to protect and chase boys away from?" Jackie says turning her attention to her husband. 

"It feels wonderful. Yes as I stated before no boy will be good enough for my little girl!"

"Sound like any typical father," she replies with a small laugh, "you're not going to be able to hold her in your arms forever."

"I know, but I'll have my shotgun ready," Jack says. 

Jackie shakes her head and smiles. She knows there is no point in trying to convince her husband otherwise. From this day forward she knows her husband is going to be overprotective of his Buttons and will do anything on this earth to protect his children.