extra | perspective

yuanfen.
act five, extra.
"perspective"

_

NOTE: this chapter takes place during the events of act five, chapter three. it will show part of the chapter from Genji's perspective. enjoy :)

THE PLAIN WOODEN SURFACE of the door that led to Dahlia's bedroom seemed as though it was the most interesting thing in the world to Genji. He found it difficult to tear his eyes away, listening for any sign of movement. For the past hour, he'd been able to hear the sounds of restless shuffling coming from within the room. He knew that Dahlia was nervous; she was flushed and jumpy before she'd gone to bed, and he couldn't tell if it was because of the looming threat of the Reaper or something else. Several times over the past hour, he wondered if he should've checked on her. It was obvious that she was unable to sleep, and he wondered if there was anything he could do to help. Finally, however, her bedroom had fallen into silence. Genji hoped that she finally managed to get some sleep. He wanted to assure her that she had nothing to worry about while he watched over her, though he knew that it would've been difficult for her to believe him. After all, she put her trust in him all those years ago, and he'd left her in Italy.

He had no idea how much time had passed before he began to hear noise coming from her room once again. He'd resorted to sitting on the floor of her living room, attempting a quick meditation session in hopes of passing time. His eyes fluttered open as a sound met his ears. He froze, listening closely, and it came again. It sounded like soft whines, growing louder by the second, and for a moment he was worried that Dahlia was in trouble. Then, he heard it; his name fell from the girl's lips in the form of a whimper.

Genji leaped to his feet, moving towards her bedroom door to listen more closely. He heard his name again, this time clearer, and in that moment he realized that his Kitsune wasn't in trouble. Immediately, he felt his body grow hot; the cybernetic armor that he wore suddenly felt as though it was far too tight. He shifted his weight back and forth, cursing the puffs of steam that shot from the vents on his shoulders. Dahlia made yet another noise, causing Genji to curse under his breath and open her door.

Her bedroom was pitch black. The dim lights of his suit illuminated the area around him as he crossed the room to her bed. Dahlia was buried beneath the covers, her head resting lightly on the pillow. Her eyebrows were pulled together, and soft whines fell from her slightly parted lips.

"Dahlia," Genji whispered. She didn't stir, still deep in her slumber. He called her name again, slightly louder, and this time she responded. Though it was a response that he hadn't expected, and one that left him speechless for several moments.

"Genji."

He shook his head, forcing the rather intrusive thoughts he had towards the Kitsune to the back of his mind. No matter how much he enjoyed hearing his name slip from her lips, he felt wrong for allowing it to continue. He reached down and shook her body, calling her name once again. Dahlia stirred this time, sucking in a deep breath as her eyes shot open; she squinted against the glow of his suit. Her cheeks were a deep scarlet color, and her lips glistened in the low lighting due to the fact that she had just licked them.

Genji did his best to tear his gaze away from her, though he found it nearly impossible. "You were..." he said to her. He paused as he remembered the sound of his name falling from her lips, and he sucked in a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself. "...making a lot of noise. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Dahlia responded, almost too quickly. She seemed distracted, her gaze blank as she looked away from him. He noticed the redness of her cheeks darken in the dim lighting. "Just a nightmare."

Genji was silent for a moment. He wondered if he should bring up the fact that she was saying his name in her sleep- and, quite honestly, how it sounded as far from a nightmare as possible. With the way she'd been acting towards him, it was the last thing he expected to happen that night. As he looked down at her, watching her look everywhere but him, he was unable to stop the smile that grew on his face.

"You said my name a few times, Kitsune."

A look of pure dread fell over Dahlia's features, confirming his suspicions. He was thankful that she was unable to see the smirk he wore beneath his visor. "Any dream where I am forced to see you is a nightmare," she grumbled, avoiding his gaze.

It didn't sound like a nightmare to me, he thought to himself, and he was tempted to say it out loud. He didn't want to embarrass his Kitsune, however, so he kept his mouth shut. After all, he didn't need her to admit what she had been dreaming about. He already felt as though he was winning.