viii | training

yuanfen.
act one, chapter one.
"training"

ONLY ONE THOUGHT RAN through Dahlia's mind during the entirety of the trip back to the base. She realized with a bitter scowl that if she had been properly trained to defend herself, the entire situation with the Shimada brutes in Hanamura could've been avoided. Once again she found herself angry with Jack Morrison for refusing to let her train.

    Once they returned to the base, Dahlia scurried after Genji as he went to exit the hangar. Judging by his fast pace, she guessed that he was trying to leave before she had the chance to talk to him. She was determined, however, and raced to catch up to him. She reached out to grab his arm, yanking him to a stop and causing him to whip around to glare at her. Dahlia let out a soft squeak as his glowing gaze met her own, and she dropped her hand.

    "If I ask you for another favor, are you going to kill me?" She questioned him, so quiet that she was surprised he even heard her.

    Genji sighed, shoulders heaving as he did so. "The temptation is there."

    "I'm going to ask anyway," Dahlia said with a shrug.

    "I am not surprised," he responded.

    "Train me."

    Genji was silent for a moment as he processed her words. Confusion laced his tone when he finally spoke. "What?"

    "You wouldn't have had to save me if I could fend for myself," Dahlia pointed out bitterly. "I want you to train me so that doesn't happen again."

    "Why should I waste my time training you?" Genji questioned flatly, causing her to frown.

    "I will never bother you again," Dahlia offered.

    "I do not believe you."

    "I won't need to, if I can take care of myself. Please," she pleaded. She had seen Genji fight, and although the thought of training with him terrified her, she knew that she would learn best from him. "This is the last favor, I promise."

    Genji sighed and his gaze dropped to the ground, his cybernetic suit whirring as he did so. "You get one training session. If you are pathetic as you seem, then that is all."

    Dahlia beamed happily and shrugged off the offense she felt towards his not-so-subtle insult. "Thank you," she said with a grin.

    Genji said nothing. He simply gestured for her to follow him before he began walking once more. Dahlia stared after him in confusion. She had no idea what time it was, but she knew that it couldn't have been any earlier than 10PM. Her bed was calling her name, and she longed to curl up beneath her warm blankets and sleep off the rather traumatizing events of that evening.

    Genji noticed her hesitance, stopping to look over his shoulder once more. "Well, come on."

    Dahlia blinked in surprise. "Wait, now?"

    He only nodded. He began walking once again, this time not waiting to see if she was following. Dahlia debated whether or not she should've just left him and retired to her bed instead, though she had a feeling that this was her only chance to be trained by him. With a sigh, she followed after him.

    The training facility was, unsurprisingly, empty when they arrived. Genji stepped inside, flicking on the lights and illuminating the large room. Dahlia looked around her nervously, gazing out of the large windows that lined the walls and towards the dormitory buildings. Anyone that happened to be awake at that moment would surely be drawn to the sudden brightness that came from the training facility, and she couldn't help but fear the consequences that would surely come from her being discovered there. Genji seemed unbothered by this, however, moving to stand on top of a training mat in the middle of the room. He gestured Dahlia over, and once she was standing in front of him, he said: "hit me."