x | insecurities

yuanfen.
act six, chapter ten.
"insecurities"

_

"SO WHAT DID GENJI have to say?" Dahlia loved her friend and the time that she spent with her, though sometimes it seemed as if Hana thrived off of gossip. Their conversations usually took a turn towards the latest rumors the Korean girl heard about some of the recruits; Dahlia, being far past the stage that enjoyed gossip, never necessarily liked it, but allowed her friend to let it out of her system nonetheless. That is, until the topic veered towards her and Genji.

Dahlia shrugged, eyes glued to the design that she had absent-mindedly scribbled into the dirt with a twig. "He just wanted to discuss the latest juicy rumors."

Hana perked up at this. For a moment, she seemed like she was ready to beg Dahlia to tell her the supposed rumors. Then, her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "You and Genji both hate gossip."

"That's not entirely true," Dahlia defended slowly, though both she and Hana knew that it was a lie.

"You never listen to me when I tell you about the rumors I heard," her friend pointed out, lips taut.

"Yes I do!"

"Then what did I tell you about earlier during the training session?" Hana challenged, raising an eyebrow. Dahlia clamped her mouth shut and tried to think back to the conversation she had with her friend near the end of the training session. Her mind went blank, and she realized with a scowl that she had been too worried about what Genji wanted to talk about to listen to Hana's latest gossip. Hana crossed her arms over her chest with a childish pout, feigning hurt. "That's what I thought. Although I think we both know what was distracting you this time."

Dahlia rolled her eyes and pulled herself to her feet. "Bye, Hana," she said, sticking her tongue out. "I hope you find someone who'll listen to your endless supply of rumors. I heard Sojourn is a fan of gossip."

"No way!" Hana shook her head frantically. "Does it look like I want my head bit off? I'll go find Lena."

Dahlia laughed and waved goodbye to her friend. After she reported her notes of the training session to Dr. Ziegler, she had planned to retreat to her dorm for the night, though Hana managed to catch her just as she exited the HQ building. An hour had passed since then, and Dahlia wasn't any closer to curling up beneath her blankets. She doubted that she would even have the energy to take the warm bath that she'd been craving. She began to make her way towards the dormitories at a brisk pace. A cool breeze blew, the temperature dropping with the setting sun, and she wrapped her arms around herself as a chill ran through her body. The base was bustling with activity despite it growing late, though Dahlia was thankful that no one tried to speak to her. At least, not until reached the dormitories, when she noticed Leo standing outside. He leaned with his shoulder against the brick wall, straightening upon noticing her approaching him.

"I don't like the way you're stalking around base," he said to her, his lips curling into a twisted sneer. "Planning your next attack, traitor?"

Dahlia paused in front of him and rolled her eyes in exasperation. All she wanted was to return to her dorm; she hated that she was unable to do so without the bothersome recruit causing trouble. "Not today, Leo. Leave me alone."

Leo held his hands up in mock surrender. "What, or you'll stick me in another bear trap?"

Dahlia glanced down at the foot that had been mangled by the trap. Although it was now healed, his struggling had caused serious trauma to the tendons and bones, leaving him in need of a cybernetic brace to help support the weight on his ankle. "That was your own fault for not looking where you were going. In case you forgot, I was the one who got you out," she pointed out.