v | a hundred times

yuanfen.
act seven, chapter five.
"a hundred times"

_

NOT EVEN THE EARLY morning sunlight that shone through the windows in Dahlia's dorm was enough to relieve it of the gloomy atmosphere that hung overhead like a storm cloud. She stared at herself in the mirror, taking a moment to study the way the sunlight cast her skin into a golden glow. She was dressed in the formal Overwatch uniform that had been given to her upon her arrival. Because she mostly wore a lab coat over more casual clothing whilst doing her daily duties in the medbay, she hadn't worn the uniform once, but that day was a special case. Natalia Kalinski's funeral service was being held inside the auditorium on base, and each agent was ordered to wear their uniforms to honor their fallen teammate.

Dahlia's eyes lingered on the familiar logo that was woven into the breast of her shirt. It was once the official logo of Overwatch; now, it was a symbol of fear for some while one of new hope for others. To Dahlia, it was a constant reminder of the new chances that she'd been given. She knew that her old self, the one that lived before she was taken by Talon, would have been ecstatic to learn that Dahlia was considered an official agent of Overwatch. That Dahlia managed to see the organization for what it could've been, although her old dreams were rather unrealistic.

Now, having aged nearly a decade and witnessed the reality behind the broken world in which she lived, she knew the truth. Although once believing that as a part of Overwatch, she would have the ability to help the world as she pleased, she now knew that the title of an agent of Overwatch was nothing more than just that- a title. All the decisions were made by those with higher ranks and more rapport, and everyone else had no choice but to sit back and hope that those in charge made the right decision.

Dahlia shook her head, turning away from the mirror with a sigh. She wasn't one to question the decisions that Sojourn and the other senior agents made; after all, in the end, the only thing she wanted was safety and a roof over her head. But she couldn't turn a blind eye to their current situation. She knew better than anyone the danger that lurked in the shadows. The Reaper and his army of Assassins wasn't something to ignore, and she wished that she had been able to convince Sojourn of this sooner. The Captain underestimated the level of danger their team was in, and now, Natalia was dead. Dahlia could only hope that the tragedy opened the eyes of her teammates and something would finally be done to stop the ghostly man that haunted them from the shadows.

'

'

'

An hour later, Dahlia found herself standing amongst the rest of the Overwatch agents in the auditorium. Quiet whispers surrounded her, though no one dared speak any louder. After all, whether they were close to Natalia or not, every agent was mourning their fallen teammate. Genji stood by Dahlia's side, Lena on the other; they both seemed ready to defend Dahlia in case anyone tried to cause any trouble. Dahlia was grateful that they were willing to stand up for her, but she found it rather unnecessary. If any agent was insensitive enough to cause trouble at a funeral service, she would be sure to shut it down herself as quickly as possible.

In the midst of the voices surrounding her, a faint whisper suddenly met Dahlia's ears. It was quieter than all the rest, yet somehow it seemed to be screaming through her mind. It spoke only three words, but those three words made her blood run cold:

"All must die."

She immediately reached up to clutch the sides of her head as pain shot through her skull, grabbing Genji's attention. The ninja leaned close to her and he spoke with concern in his voice. "Is it happening?"