vii | reluctance

yuanfen.
act three, chapter seven.
"reluctance"

_

DAHLIA WAS AWOKEN BY the feeling of her body swaying back and forth. For a moment, her eyes still closed and her vision still engulfed by darkness, she felt as though she was on a ship. She began to panic, struggling to pull herself to her feet, but something wrapped around her legs and her torso prevented her from doing so.

    Those Overwatch agents shipped me away as soon as I closed my eyes, she said to herself, the thought feeling like a slap in the face. I should've known they couldn't be trusted.

    Dahlia struggled against her restraints once again, though this time she was surprised to feel them tighten around her slightly. A feeling of warmth shot through her body at the touch on her thighs. She froze, the swaying of her body causing her head to spin wildly. Slowly, she opened her eyes, immediately blinded by bright fluorescent lights above her, and she groaned loudly at the brightness. Gazing around her, she realized that she wasn't actually on a ship. Instead, she was slowly moving down a long hallway; she was being carried, but by who? She reached up and ran her hand along the cool, hard surface that her head rested against. She could hear the faint sound of breathing, accompanied by occasional mechanical hisses.

    Dahlia looked up, her eyes landing on the familiar ninja who had taken her away from the Reaper, and she felt herself relax. "Where are you taking me, ninja?" She asked him, her voice raspy from sleep.

    Genji didn't answer right away. She looked up, finding him staring blankly ahead of him as if he didn't even hear her. The green glow from his visor flickered a bit, and then he said: "Somewhere you need to be." Dahlia was confused, though she didn't question it. For some odd reason, she trusted Genji.

    A few moments later, she felt the feeling of a soft breeze run along her bare arms. They were outside now, and Dahlia turned to watch as Genji approached several figures standing in the shadows. An odd feeling overcame her; she suddenly felt as though she was in danger, and she struggled against Genji's hold. The cyborg's arms tightened around her. The pressure of his metallic fingerprints on her skin would surely leave behind bruises in their wake.

    Genji stopped in front of the figures, saying nothing. The being in the middle stepped forward, and Dahlia felt her heart plummet to her feet as her eyes met the soulless black gaze of the all-too-familiar owl-like mask. The Reaper stood before her, and a maniacal laugh came from behind the mask as he noticed her terrified expression.

    "You made the right choice, ninja," he growled towards Genji, his gaze still lingering on the confused girl the ninja held in his arms. Dahlia couldn't believe her ears. She glanced up towards Genji, eyes wide with panic. He didn't look at her, and he responded with a hard voice.

    "Just take her and leave."

    His words caused the world to spin around her. A soft "no" fell from her lips as she felt herself being handed to one of the figures standing behind the Reaper. She tried to fight, though it was suddenly as if she had no control over her body. She could do nothing but cry out in protest.

    "Genji, please!" She called to him as she felt herself being taken away. She watched as the cyborg turned around, ignoring her calls and walking away without looking back.

    Dahlia's eyes shot open as the sound of knocking pulled her back into consciousness. She rubbed her eyes, sitting up in her bed and gazing around her panickedly. She was back in the dorm that had been assigned to her the night before. Golden sunlight shone through the crack in the curtains, and she could hear faint birdsong coming through the window. Another knock echoed through the small dorm.