Chapter 22 - My Scars Can Witness

The irony is, Rohan was in more scenes then any of the other suspects, I just kept him in the background to not draw attention to him. The first chapter, chapter 7, 9, 13, 18, and 21 of course.

●●●●●●●●●●

Vansh blinked. Then he blinked again.

It didn't fade. It wasn't a figment of his mind, the desperation of his hopes of finally finding Riddhima's rapist mingled with the disappointment that they had failed for the third time to put a face to the man. The burn was there.

Left arm, small about the size of a business card. It had to be the same scar.

Vansh's eyes darted around the office, seeking out all of the signs he'd failed to see before. He'd said long ago that the rapist would need a background in combat as well as experience in the military. One look to Rohan's walls showed him a picture of when he was younger, dressed in an Army uniform, probably a Ranger. He was surrounded by a group of his comrades, but he had the biggest gun in the bunch, set right in the middle where no one could miss him. The Alpha of the squad.

The walls also showed empty spots where pictures would have hung once. Rohan's left hand had a small white strip on the ring finger. Divorce. Yes, and fairly recent too.

Gambling. Vansh remembered that day when Riddhima had interrogated Rohan, the same day of the ball. Rohan was a gambling addict, he'd gone through financial troubles and his wife had left him. And Riddhima had thrown all of that into his face.

"Vansh?"

The sound of his name brought him to where he was. He was standing in front of Riddhima's rapist. Heat surged through him, a red painful, throbbing pulse that set his blood on fire. Vansh wanted to kill him. He even looked around for the best weapon available. Antique brass paperweight. That would cause some damage.

But this wasn't his call.

"You okay?" Rohan asked.

"Yes," Vansh said smoothly, "I'm just thinking about the case."

Rohan nodded, completely at ease. He thought he'd won. He thought he would be able to steer them in the wrong direction. That disgusting son of a bitch.

"I understand," he said, "this has been difficult for all of you."

"You have no idea." That came out colder than he intended.

Rohan didn't notice, or if he did he waved it off. "I'm sure things will work out. And if not…well, Riddhima seems to be doing fine now. I'm sure she'll get over this."

"She is strong," Vansh said with a nod, "She's the strongest person I know. None of this changed that."

Ah, there it was. The bit of smugness that flashed through his eyes and the way his lips curved up. Yes, he thought he'd broken her. He thought he'd won.

"Good for her," Rohan said. He bent down to retrieve his briefcase set beside his antique secretary desk—obviously he liked to spend money to show his status, Vansh noted. "Now I'm sorry we can't talk more, but I have an appointment."

"Yes, sorry to keep you."

"No, no, I'm glad you came," Rohan said, "And let me offer my help in any way I can. I'm sure you'll find another suspect soon."

Vansh smiled at him and nodded. "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be back to see you very soon."

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Vansh got a speeding ticket making his way back to the CBI, but he didn't care. This was more important than anything at the moment. He was glad to find the absence of Riddhima, but the others were all there. They were going over the case, trying to find another lead. He would relieve them of that burden.