VI. Sleep.

Lucilla couldn't sleep. Not like she wanted to anyways. With her mind constantly racing across memories that she tried hard to forget years ago that never went away, It was hard to for it all to be silent long for Lucilla to fall asleep. When she did fall asleep they always turned into nightmares that replayed over and over again until a different one took its place before Lucilla awoke. They never left her mind afterwards unlike those good dreams you can't remember when you wake up. These memories always stuck around despite how hard Lucilla tried to shift them.

She could still remember the day they started. Just after she left Marc and Layla's place after hearing their arguing. It wasn't long since Marc returned from the desert one his own and Layla had recently invited the heart-broken Lucilla to stay with them.

"She's just a kid Marc!" Layla yelled at her husband as Lucilla walked into their house, "She shouldn't be abandoned like that!" It was obvious that they were talking about Lucilla, even she knew they were talking about her the moment she stepped into the house. Even if it wasn't, the fact that Marc had no one else to abandon made it obvious.

Lucilla had crept quietly into the house, barely reaching the kitchen to see the two face to face through the semi-closed door. "She's six years younger than us!" Marc fought back, "Lucilla is no way a child, she can fend for herself and sure as hell shouldn't be babied by us. She had a whole childhood for that!"

She learned from a young age that when two people arguing, it usually never ended well. It was obvious for Marc and Layla but what was worse was the fact that Lucilla was the cause of it. She never had a childhood of being babied, despite was Marc thought, her childhood was an overwhelming experience. Lucilla was often the one that everyone had forgotten about. However now, they didn't forget about Lucilla, the issue was that she was thorn in their side.

"She's you sister and she's grieving, Marc!" Layla added. Lucilla often agreed with Marc, she shouldn't be intruding on their lives like this. Layla's kindness is the only thing that kept her here the past week or so. She thought Lucilla should be with someone after the news.

"I lost my family years ago." Marc spat, "They're the ones who abandoned me."

"Lucilla didn't." Layla argued, folding her arms at her husband. "She followed you through everything. Why do you think she's still here?"

Layla was often the voice of reason between Marc and Lucilla. She was the true reason they are still in contact. She believed that since Lucilla tried to follow Marc through life in attempt to hold onto the one glimpse of the normal family she once had then Layla only had to help. Because the Spector didn't turn their backs on Marc. It was their mother that did. She blamed everything onto Marc as he was was the oldest and Marc was furious Lucilla got the easy road in life. Their mum was convinced it was Marc who left Randell in that cave so he quickly placed as the blame.

Lucilla was convinced it was her fault, not Marc's. She was the one who wanted to hang out in the cave but no once listened to her after the accident.

"Lucilla followed the easy road in life."

Sometimes Marc proved himself wrong by the simplest of comments. The year before he was discharged from the army, Lucilla was alone on the streets trying to make a small amount of money to survive the day. It had gotten worse by the time he became a mercenary.

Lucilla was practically dead in some part by the time Layla found her. She was searching for some of Marc's family as a surprise but from how Marc spoke about his Family Layla didn't search for most of it. Just Lucilla. The lucky part of the gift to Marc is that the only lead Layla had on Lucilla led her to the girl.

But Marc would have cast Lucilla as a burden more than a gift anyways.

She never chose the easy road in life either, just chose the paths that were handed to her. They were long paths that only changed three times in her 28 years of living. Layla was the first change into a different route.