FIFTY-SIX

PETER'S COLLEGE LETTERS CAME IN ONE BY ONE, while Nadia received zero. It was getting harder and harder to lie about not applying, except— each one of Peter's letters were rejections from the school. It hurt her heart to see his face fall each time, but she knew that none of these schools mattered to him, not as much as the last letter that showed up. MIT.

The second May came in, brandishing it, he nearly spit out his mouthful of cereal. Peter barged into the bathroom, where Nadia was taking a shower and told her they had to go to the cafe where MJ works to meet her and Ned to open their letters at the same time.

And so, they swung through the city, Nadia with a head full of dripping wet hair in the freezing November wind, clasping onto Peter tightly. Everyone knew Nadia was dating Spider-Man anyway, so neither fretted over wearing a mask.

They landed outside MJ's work and Peter ran inside ahead of her. MJ looked up from the register, raising her letter in the air. They dashed over to meet Ned at the counter in the back. Nadia trailed behind, taking a seat on Peter's right.

MJ looked at them all. She frowned at Nadia's empty hands. "Where's your letter?"

Nadia chewed on her cheek and shrugged. "Didn't get it yet... Must've gotten lost in the mail..."

MJ and Ned shared a look. "Should we wait, then?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nadia quickly shook her head. "N-no! No, you guys go ahead..." She tried to ignore the gently questioning look Peter sent to her, but ending up smiling at him anyway. "You guys ready?"

"Jones!" interjected MJ's boss. "I told you to take down the Halloween decorations."

"Actually," MJ began, "That was Sasha, so—"

"Enough attitude, just do it."

MJ rolled her eyes as the man walked into the other room. She shook her head. "On it." She turned back to their friends.

"I feel like I'm gonna puke..." Ned mumured, looking down at the envelope in his hands.

MJ shuddered. "Well, don't. Because he will just make me clean it."

Ned shook his head. "This is our only shot... It's here or nowhere."

Nadia saw the saddened look in Peter's eyes, knowing that Ned's statement was true. There wasn't anywhere else close enough to Boston for them to carry out their dream...

Peter furrowed his brow nonetheless, the most opptimistic of them all. "Hey, come on..."

MJ took a deep breath. "Ready, guys?"

Both Peter and Ned nodded, so Nadia leaned forward, showing them her fingers. "On three, okay?"

They readied their fingers on the edges of their envelopes as she counted down.

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

Nadia's three best friends ripped into their envelopes, pulling the letters out and letting their eyes run across the print. Nadia brushed against Peter's shoulder, leaning forward with him to read his letter.

One by one, their smiles slowly fell.

Nadia couldn't take her eyes off of Peter, knowing that he would blame this all on himself, especially if Ned and MJ didn't make it in either. He stared at the tabletop, not risking a glance at any of them.

Nadia finally met MJ's gaze when she felt her staring. The other girl slowly shook her head.

Peter deflated further. He looked at Ned. "You?"