SEVEN

WE MADE IT BACK TO THE SCHOOL EARLY THE NEXT MORNING, where all of the other students' families waited for them

WE MADE IT BACK TO THE SCHOOL EARLY THE NEXT MORNING, where all of the other students' families waited for them. Flash ran to his parents, Liz to her mother, and Peter found himself being attacked by his Aunt May. I stood to the side by myself with my bags, my heart heavy and eyes sleepy. I wished my parents would come around the corner of the school in their fancy surgeon funded car with large smiles on their faces, proud of me for winning the national championship. It only left me feeling even more empty than before.

"Nadia, hey."

I turned suddenly, surprised to see Stephen walking my way. Why was he here? He looked strange (no pun intended) without his normal Master of the Mystic Arts garb, dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans. "Strange, uh, hey," I said, letting go of my duffle. "I heard what happened, are you all right?" he asked, concern tinging his tone. I nodded and Strange gathered me into an embrace, which I cautiously reciprocated. "What- Why are you here? You could've called," I asked, not meaning to sound ungrateful, placing my chin on his shoulder. I was glad that Stephen was here; it made me feel a little less alone. He let go.

"I guess I wanted to see you for myself," he smiled, adjusting the sleeves on his shirt, "You know it's not too far of a, uh, a portal from New York." I smiled slightly. It was good to see him again. "Are you ready to go?"

Go? My smile fell promptly. "What?" He frowned, checking his watch. "You're coming back to New York. I don't want you getting in a situation like that again, not with me so far away," he said, pulling his sleeve down over the watch, "Besides. I need you back at the Sanctum. Wong went to the Bahamas." My lips parted slightly, and I huffed. "Strange, I-I can't just leave, the city could still be in danger," I pleaded, my eyebrows pinching together slightly.

Strange shrugged. "You said that the Spider-kid was watching over the city. Let him take care of it," he said. I shook my head fervently. "No, it's not that simple. I can't just... I have friends here," I said quietly. I spotted Liz and her mother glancing our way, and my heart ached with the thought of just leaving them behind.

"Nadia, I sent you here on a mission, not to make friends. The mission's been completed, it's time to come home," he said firmly. Strange raised an eyebrow challengingly. "Unless you can't handle going on missions-"

"No I can handle it," I interjected hastily. I knew Stephen would never let me go on another mission every again if he thought I couldn't handle this one. "Just give me another week." I needed time. Isn't that what we all needed? More time? It was a shame, to run out of time. "Then I promise, I'll come back, I promise I'll be okay."

It was a shame that I couldn't keep my promise.

。・:*:・゚★ 。・:*:・゚