FOURTEEN

"HE'S GOT FOUR HOSTAGES, TWO IN THE VAULT AND TWO IN THE SUPPLY CLOSET DOWN THE HALL

"HE'S GOT FOUR HOSTAGES, TWO IN THE VAULT AND TWO IN THE SUPPLY CLOSET DOWN THE HALL."

Typing away furiously at the computer, I tried to pull up the security cameras in the bank vault. "I can't get in to see them- you okay going in blind, Pete?"

"Do I have a choice?" Peter muttered, and I glanced at Ned. We were sitting in the floor of the apartment Stephen had rented out for me to stay in during the school year, our laptops pulled into our laps on the cold hardwoods.

Downtown, Michael Hargrove, and an ex-employee of one of the banks on fourth street had decided to rob the place right at closing, but, unlucky for him, Spider-Man was just around the corner. Peter had gone out to get us Chinese food when the police scanner I kept on the kitchen island went off with a code 211- bank robbery.

I typed at a lightning speed, hurriedly breaking down the firewalls into the banks security. In the few weeks since the accident that dubbed me paralyzed from the waist down, I had learned all the coding and hacking I could from Ned (the kid was truly a computer genius). Not being able to walk gave way for a lot of free time.

"Scratch that, they're all in the vault. Including Hargrove," I spoke into my com, something that Ned and I had whipped up for us to communicate with Peter on his missions. "Got it," Peter replied, "All the hostages are safe. Wait, didn't you say Hargrove was here- ow!"

A loud thud echoed in the earpiece and Ned leaned over to see what was happening. Hargrove had snuck up on Peter and hit him with what looked like a wad of cash, but he had retaliated, ducking left and right to avoid his punches. All it really took was one good kick to the chest and a couple webs for Peter to detain the criminal.

"We're all good here. Thanks guys," Peter said, looking to the security cam with a thumbs up. Ned and I shared a grin, before slapping hands.

Ned looked at his watch. "Fifteen minutes. That's a new record, dude," he said in awe. I smiled happily, closing my laptop and clapping my hands. "Hey, Pete, get some extra egg rolls. I think we deserve them."

"Oh no. No, no, no, no."

I sat up further, frowning deeply. Pressing a finger to the com in my ear, my heart thudded in my chest. Panic seeped into my voice. "Peter? Peter, what is it?"

"Wu's Eatery is closed!"

I heaved a sigh of relief, leaning back onto the wall, and closed my eyes. "God, don't do that."

"Just get a pizza," Ned shrugged but I sent a disgusted glare in his direction. "We got pizza last night," I commented, shaking my head, "And the night before that, and the night before that-"

"Aunt May might have something left over. It's Meatloaf Wednesday-"

"No." Ned and I said simultaneously, locking eyes. Aunt May was a sweet person, but the woman just couldn't cook. Peter hummed lightly on the line, "Yeah... She probably ate most of it anyway... She stress eats when I go out on missions."