EIGHTEEN

I WAS IN LOVE with Shuri Udaku

I decided this minutes after meeting her. The princess of Wakanda was ridiculously cool and equally smart, and super accepting. I had told her my situation, how I had read about Wakandan technology (conveniently leaving out the whole hacking into the computer out of the conversation), and the girl was understanding and immediately agreed to help me.

"And then, he was practically catapulted across the room!" Shuri exclaimed jovially, prodding at the scars on my back while she told me a silly story about her brother T'Challa, the king of Wakanda. I laughed along with her, slightly awkwardly, and she let my t-shirt slide down over my back again. She turned and made her way over to the computer keyboard, typing quickly with a smile on her face. "I wouldn't have thought him to be so gullible," I mused, looking around the room.

Shuri's lab was spectacular; I halfway wished Peter were here with me, to see all of her tech and talk about nerdy things. My heart panged at the thought. The ceilings were tall, which was a good thing, considering Shuri had medical equipment piled up almost as high as the gray walls would reach. At the head of the lab was a large glass window that gave the perfect view across Wakanda.

"Thank you for agreeing to this," I muttered without thinking. The dark eyed girl glanced up at me. "I know that you're country just opened up to the world, and... just thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me. I would do anything to have my legs back." Staring at my small hands, I bit my lip.

"Like hack into our medical files?"

My head shot up at the new voice that entered the room. Standing in the large doorway was the king of Wakanda, the Black Panther, dressed in a simple looking long shirt and pants. My throat went dry, like someone was stuffing cotton balls down it, and I opened my mouth to speak. "Um... I—"

"Brother," Shuri warned, stepping between us. T'Challa held up a hand. "Don't worry, sister," he replied, "All I need is a yes or no."

My eyes were wide and I looked at Shuri. "If I say yes, are you going to give me to that scary woman with the spears?"

To my surprise, T'Challa laughed. It was a small chuckle, but his head ducked with it, a gentle smile spreading onto his lips. "No, no, it is no big feat, Nadia. Shuri has informed me that we must improve our internet security," he waved a hand dismissively, and I relaxed a little. He stood, whisking his hands behind his back regally. "Continue with your examination, sister. We will talk later, yes?"

I nodded like I had no other choice and he smiled, "It was nice meeting you."

"Uh— yeah, you too." I cringed at the wording I used. T'Challa left us alone again and Shuri shone a bright light into my eyes. I blinked.

"Brother has taken a liking to you," she hummed, narrowing her eyes. I frowned. "You can tell from just that?"

Shuri pursed her lips, nodding as she set down the flashlight. "So have I."