TWENTY-ONE

"A PARTY? REALLY?"

"A PARTY? REALLY?"

I bit my lip, shaking the hair from my eyes as I looked up at Peter. He grinned a cheeky grin, an irresistible grin. "Is that really the most important thing at the moment?"

The boy shrugged. "We don't have any new leads... and the last party we went to was Liz's, which was so long ago... It could be fun."

There was a reason we hadn't been to a party since Liz's a few months ago; we didn't like parties. Peter didn't like parties. I'd never known him to throw aside an eventless night and want to go to a party, of all things.

"It could be fun..." I repeated, lacing my fingers behind my back. Still, I was unsure; there were so many other things, more important things I could use my time for. Homework, studying, trying to figure out who the psycho-maniac tormenting the city was... All very important things, and a party wasn't among them.

"Nadia..." Peter saw my hesitation, "I know you want to figure this out, and I do too but... Let's forget about that right now. Maybe taking a step back will help us see something we're missing." His eyes glittered, like they always did, and the look he gave me was such a look that I'd fallen in love with, that I had to look away.

I found myself nodding. I stretched a smile on my face. "Okay, yeah. I'll go with you." Peter's adorable grin returned and he feverishly grinned. I smiled; my eyes locked with him, and an abrupt wave of urgency to press his lips to mine washed over me.

The door to my room opened and someone cleared their throat. We jumped apart, Peter scratching his head as Michelle raised an eyebrow. "MJ..." My cheeks turned red and heat creeped up my neck.

"I'll knock next time... Are you guys coming or has the lovefest already started?" Michelle mused, teasingly. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a jacket to throw on, all while Peter sputtered uncomfortably.

In a few minutes, we were walking down the dim streets from where Michelle had parked her car to Betty Brant's large house in the suburbs. Gwen and Ned had joined us in the lobby of my apartment building and we'd packed into the curly-haired girl's car (illegally, but Gwen's father was the sheriff so we thought it'd be fine).

Michelle was going on about the irony of some Sci-Fy show to Peter and Ned, while Gwen and I walked ahead, the only coming from us the light taps of our shoes on the pavement. It was comfortable silence, but I felt like I had to say something to break the ice.

"Gwen... About what Peter and I told you yesterday..." I began, biting the inside of my cheek.

"I won't tell anyone. Anything," Gwen interjected, giving me a reassuring look, which I returned with a thankful smile. "Thanks."