TWENTY-FOUR

MONTHS LATER
(this chapter is in 3rd person for storyline reasons)

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUU," Peter Parker's aunt May sang, dancing around with a large, leaning, sloppy cake in her hand

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUU," Peter Parker's aunt May sang, dancing around with a large, leaning, sloppy cake in her hand. She pinched his cheek with her free hand, laughing through her singing. "Happy Birthday dear Peter! Happy Birthday to you!"

Peter couldn't help but smile. Aunt May never failed to make him feel special on his birthday, and perhaps waking him up at 12 AM for cake was not the greatest present, but he appreciated the thought.

"Oh, my God, I can't believe you're already sixteen. Wow," May said, shaking her head as she sat at his feet. She held out a plate with putrid yellow cake on it. "Come on, eat up." Peter took it, sitting up in bed. He struggled to maintain his smile upon tasting the cake.

"Any plans for tomorrow?" May asked. Peter shrugged, poking the dessert with his fork. "Mr. Stark asked me to come to his offices. Said he has a present for me..." he pursed his lips, thinking.

May followed up, "What about your girlfriend?"

Peter's cheeks dusted red. He still wasn't used to calling her his girlfriend. "Nadia hasn't said anything either... We'll probably just go to that taco place down the street with Ned and just hang out."

May narrowed her eyes, but quickly glanced away. "All right then. That sounds like a good birthday plan." She stared at him, sadness sleeping into her large brown eyes, and she sighed. "Peter... Oh, God, I remember the day you were born..." Shaking her head, she looked back down at the cake. "You were so small... And sooo cute..."

Peter placed his hand on her arm. "May..." She sniffled and lifted her head, plastering on a bright beam again. "Sorry sorry, it's just... You're so grown up now." He offered a small smile.

"I love you, so so much." May squeezed his shoulders, and Peter groaned, laughing as she hugged him tightly. "I love you too, May."

She smiled again and stood, laughing. "Okay, well- Cake for breakfast, Peter? I know it's your birthday but that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want!" Peter laughed quietly, handing her the plate of half eaten dessert and she said, "It kind of sucked didn't it? I followed the recipe exactly and look at it, still a mess."

"It was great," Peter lied, but not to spare her feelings. It really was great, he loved his aunt for doing the most for him.

"Okay, all right. I'll let you sleep some more." She kissed his cheek and quietly left the room. Peter smiled, laying flat on his back and staring at the ceiling. He thought of his parents, of Ben, and how he wished they were here. But then he thought of Nadia, Ned, Gwen, MJ, his friends, who were here and loved him. They did love him right?

He eventually drifted off to sleep, and woke up with his alarm blaring in his ear. He got ready, taking a shower, brushing his teeth, all the normal routine. He dressed in the new jeans and shirt May had bought, and walked into the living room just as there was a knock on the door.