Episode13

Again, I will upload early if I get 7 votes!!! Enjoy :)

Emerald

"Who is that little girl?" I ask Chester.

Chester looks at me with surprise evident on his face. "You don't know?"

"Know what?"

"That Kai has a daughter."

My jaw drops. "Kai has a daughter?" How is it possible that she never came up in our conversations earlier? Was he trying to hide her from me? Did he not want me to find out? Maybe it's for the best that he turned out to be my professor. Having a kid is so much responsibility. I'm not ready to involve a kid in my life like that.

"Yeah, her name is Ellie. She stays with her mom for one week and then with Kai for another. They switch off."

"Is there anything else about Kai that I should know?" I say sarcastically. I can't believe he didn't tell me he had a kid during our first date. Why wouldn't he mention that? I guess maybe he was worried I wouldn't want to see him if he had a kid. And he was right—I'm not interested in dating anyone with a kid.

"Did you know he was married?"

If it was possible for my jaw to drop any further it would. "Kai was married?"

Kai walks into the room now, looking visibly irritated. "Chester, why are you divulging details about my private life to Emma? What are you doing here?" He turns to ask me the second question.

"You didn't tell her about Ellie? Or Sadie?" Chester asks his brother.

"Whose Sadie?" I cut in.

"His crazy ex-wife," Chester says, pulling out the lasagna. I almost forgot I came here to help cook.

"I didn't think Ellie and Sadie were first date topics of conversation," Kai defends.

"You didn't think it was worth mentioning that you have a child? Don't you think I deserved to know?"

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore because we're not dating."

"You're not dating?" Chester looks shocked. "Why not?"

"I was going to tell you when I got home," Kai explains. "She's my student at the university. We can't be together."

"No fucking way," Chester says. He puts his hand into a bowl of popcorn and shoves the snack into his mouth, munching loudly.

I laugh despite the situation. He's treating this exchange like he's watching a movie. "Yes, way," I tell him.

"So you two are just not going to be together even though Kai said he had the best sex of his life with—"

"—god Ches, that's enough!" Kai says, his cheeks tinting pink.

My cheeks darken thinking of Chester's comment. The best sex of Kai's life was with me? Did he actually want to be with me before he found out he was my professor? If so, then why didn't he text me?

"You need to think before you speak," Kai says, flushing darker.

I can't help but think about how cute Kai looks when he's embarrassed. He's still wearing his work clothes, and the man looks damn good in them.

I decide to change the topic to save Kai from any more embarrassment. "To answer your question," I say, turning to him. "Chester and I ran into each other this morning at the grocery store before class, and we decided to meet up to make dinner together. After he reminded me about it, I felt bad canceling. I asked if you would be home at the time, and he said no so I didn't think it was a big deal."

"Oh! That's why you asked if he would be here? I just thought you wanted to speak privately with me," Chester says.

"Sorry for invading your home space," I tell Kai.

Chester cuts in. "Don't be sorry! I love having you here, and it's been nice getting to know someone after moving here and knowing no one. Don't listen to Kai, he's become so antisocial ever since—"

I notice how he stops speaking when Kai glares at him. Chester swallows hard. "—anyway, that's not important. What's important is that I need a friend to cook with and get fashion advice from and learn more about Valley Springs from. And you're so fun! I really like her Kai," he says, making me smile.

I've never really had close friends because I've been busy studying for the past two years. Other than Devon I mean. He was my friend before we even got together sophomore year of high school. But ever since he died, I haven't had a best friend. It would be nice to be able to talk to someone like that again, and Chester seems super friendly. Who cares if his brother is my professor? I don't need to talk to Kai.

~~~~
Kai

I don't know what to do about Emma standing in my kitchen. On one hand, she's my student and should stay far away from me outside of the classroom. On the other hand, I have an undeniable attraction to her that is maddening to ignore.

How bad would it be if we had dinner together for the night? I could make sure she doesn't say anything about it to the other students.

"Fine," I say, swallowing hard. "We can have dinner together."

Emma's eyes flash to meet mine. She seems to be trying to read my expression. After a moment, she glances away. "Okay," she mumbles. I watch as she turns and bends over to take garlic bread out of the oven.

I bite my lip as I watch the leather miniskirt stretch over her bottom, very nearly revealing her underwear. When I look away, I see that Chester is watching me with amusement. I glare at him, making sure he won't say anything about me checking her out. He says anything he wants out loud without a second thought. It's so embarrassing.

"Chester, do you want to set the table?" I ask pointedly.

He rolls his eyes before replying. "Yeah, sure."

I take the opportunity to go talk to Emma privately in the kitchen. She's setting the garlic bread on the stovetop. "Emma," I start.

When she turns to look at me, my breath catches. Her eyes are a light brown in the stream of sunlight peeking in from the kitchen window.

"What do you want?" She snaps.

I recoil at her unnecessary anger. "Why are you so upset?" I ask her.

"Seriously? I can't believe you have the nerve to even ask me that."

"Well at least enlighten me, so I can apologize for what I've done," I tell her.

"It's so obvious that you only wanted to sleep with me and move on with your life. Being my lit professor was such an easy out for you," she spits.

I'm surprised by both her remark and also the venom in her voice. I didn't think she was capable of such hostility, but I guess women always surprise me. I mean, even Sadie turned out to be someone totally different than who I expected. "You think I used you for sex?"

"Isn't that what one night stands are for?" She says.

"Okay, I slept with you because you're witty and gorgeous, and I didn't want to let you go. Not because I see you as a walking pair of boobs to fuck."

Her face softens for a second, but then it changes again. "So now you do want to let me go."

"It's not a matter of what I want. This is about what's good for Ellie. I can't get fired from my job because I need to pay child support for Ellie. If I get caught sleeping with you, it could not only ruin my career, but ruin my daughter's life."

She goes quiet. After a pause, she asks, "So you didn't want to leave me?"

"Of course not. Why would anyone want to let go of you willingly?" I tell her honestly.

Her eyes seem to glimmer in the light, and I realize that she's about to cry. Shit. This is all my fault for not explaining the truth to her better, isn't it?