Episode14

7 votes and I will upload early!! Happy reading :)

Emerald

I shouldn't cry, but I can't help it. I'm not upset about us not being able to date—I understand why that is now. I would never want to jeopardize Ellie's future; she's just a kid, and she deserves the world's opportunities open to her. It's just when he said why would anyone want to let go of you willingly, it reminded me of Devon. He would've never left me behind willingly if he hadn't gotten sick.

Kai looks uncomfortable. "Listen, Em, I'm sorry for not telling you about Ellie, but—"

"I'm not upset because of you keeping Ellie private. I completely understand that, and I'm sorry if I made you feel bad about keeping her a secret. I'm just upset because I know what it feels like to be let go of," I say. My voice shakes a little, and I hate it.

A single tear slips down my cheek, and I wipe it away. Kai seems to hesitate for a second, but then he wraps me in an embrace. "Do you want to talk about it?" he murmurs into my hair.

"Not really," I tell him, forcing myself to think of anything other than Devon. I focus on the sound of Kai's heartbeat, trying to slow my breathing.

"Can I help you in any way?" he asks.

I shake my head, holding him tighter. He hugs me back fiercely, and then lets go of me to look me in the eyes. "Are you sure there's nothing I can do?"

I let out a shaky breath before sniffling. Everything is fine. Calm down. I give Kai a small smile before joking, "You could send out an email saying that we don't have to read seventy pages for Wednesday's class."

He bursts out laughing. "Really Emma?"

I grin at him. I'm still sad, but listening to Kai laughing is starting to make me feel better. "I really don't want to do the reading."

"Apparently," he says, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. My breath catches when his fingertips graze my skin. Our eyes lock, and time seems to stand still for a moment. My eyes involuntarily flicker to his lips, and before I know it, he's leaning in to kiss me.

Our lips are a hairsbreadth apart when I pull back. My breath fans across his mouth when I speak. "We shouldn't be doing this Kai."

"Definitely not," he murmurs, closing his eyes and breathing me in.

His nose grazes my cheek, and Kai's hands drop from my waist to grab my ass. Every inch of me is pressed against him now, and my heart is furiously hammering in my chest. We really shouldn't be doing this. It's wrong.

When Kai's mouth meets my ear, he whispers, "You're too sexy for your own good Em." I can feel his erection pressing into me, and I gasp as he nips my ear playfully.

"What is taking you two so lon—oh," Chester says, stopping in his tracks. He narrows his eyes at us. "What are you two doing? I thought you agreed that you'd stop dating."

"We did," I say breathlessly, taking a step back.

"Uh-huh," Chester says. "Clearly, that's working out well for you two."

"Shut up Ches," Kai says.

Chester rolls his eyes at his brother. "Whatever. Hurry up so we can eat."

~~~~
Kai

Dinner seems like a strange affair with Em sitting at our dining table. Chester cuts her a big slice of lasagna and gives her some garlic bread, and she waits to eat until Ches and I both have food even though I tell her not to bother.

I admire the curve of her cheekbone, studying the way her hair frames her face. She's laughing at something Chester's just said, which I haven't been paying attention to since I've been too focused on Em. How am I supposed to teach class the rest of this semester with her in it? It's impossible to keep my eyes off her—I did everything I could to look at anyone but her during class, but even then I couldn't resist. Her beauty is too demanding.

"I can't believe you don't like English," I open my mouth without thinking.

"It's too subjective," she complains. "I like hard science because there's always an exact, real answer."

I think about what she's said for a moment, and I suppose I see her point. "What are you studying then? Biology?"

"I'm a psych major on the pre-med track," she says.

I don't know why, but it surprises me to hear that she wants to go into medicine. I've always thought of med-students as type-A, aggressive sharks that don't know how to relax, but Em doesn't seem like that at all.

"Why do you want to go into medicine?" Chester asks.

Em hesitates for a moment. I can see the gears in her mind turning, and then she speaks. "I spent a lot of time with my husband in the hospital watching the doctors take care of him. They were amazing, and did everything they could. I want to be one of them and provide solace to others. I want to know I did everything I could to save someone in need."

I choke on my lasagna at that, and Em looks at me with concern. Quickly, I gulp down water in the hopes that it will help. "You're married?" I manage.

How could she sleep with me and then tell us she's married so casually? What was wrong with her?

"Yes. He passed away two years ago when I was a freshman in college."

I can hardly process what she's just said. She was married? Like me? And he died? That would make her widow. She's too young to be widowed, and yet here we are today. I suppose that's where her mature aura comes from. I was wondering why she wasn't wild like Sadie or other college juniors; it seems like she's seen a lot of heartache in the world, and she's changed because of it. If she was ever a party girl, she isn't one now. I'm starting to realize I don't know her at all.