Episode 43

Emma

Today doesn't go anything like how I expected it to unfold. For one thing, Kai calls me in the morning and asks if we can meet up after class. It alarms me because he knows that's when I study, and he never interrupts my study time. I've shared my school schedule with him before, so he knows. Because I figure it's an emergency, I agree to meet him.

When I suggest going to a cafe, he tells me to just meet him at his apartment. After I finish with my classes, I head over to his place.

I know something is wrong when I open the door and Kai has a somber look on his face. "What's going on?" I ask him.

He opens the door wider as a sign for me to come inside. "You're worrying me Kai," I say.

"I'm so sorry," he says, shaking his head. He gestures for me to sit down on the couch, so I do. My heart is pounding in my chest. Why is he acting like this? Something is wrong. That's when he begins to explain.

"I think we should take a break," he starts, shocking me.

Did I do something wrong? Is it because I can't spend more time with him? I look down at my hands because making eye contact with him feels worse. "What did I do?" I ask him, fidgeting with my fingers. I try to keep from crying. This has completely blindsided me.

"It's not you, it's Sadie. Apparently Ellie told her mom that "pretty Emma" went with us to go trick or treating on Halloween. Sadie realized that you and I must be dating since you were at the beach too, and she wants to meet you. I think Ellie keeps talking about you, and it's getting on Sadie's nerves."

I frown. What does this have to do with Kai and I taking a break? "I'm confused," I tell him.

"You can't meet Sadie. She's crazy and nosy, and if she figures out that you're my student, she'll definitely use it against me. She'll use it against us. It's better if we lay low."

What mom said suddenly occurs to me. There are two sides to every story. What if Sadie isn't as crazy as Kai is making her out to be? What if Kai is lying to me as an excuse to break up with me? If Sadie finds out that Kai and I are together, will she really be that upset? I mean, Kai and her aren't together anymore. She doesn't own him, so why would she be mad if he dates me? Surely she has to know that he would be dating at some point.

I sigh. "Kai, be honest with me. Is that the only reason you want to take a break? Because if there's another reason, I just want to hear the truth."

His brows furrow. "What? You think I'm lying about why I want to take a break?"

"I don't know."

He takes my hands in his, but I pull out of his grasp. I don't want my judgement to be clouded by his touch right now. A hurt expression crosses his face, and it makes my heart ache. "Are you really that afraid of Sadie?" I ask him.

"You don't understand. She'll stop at nothing to break me; she hates me."

"Why? Why does she hate you so much?" My gut is telling me mom was right--there has to be more to the story. Kai has never been good at telling me the whole truth; he hid that he was previously married, and he hid Ellie from me. Something is telling me he's hiding something now.

Kai looks at me long and hard. He seems to be trying to gauge something, and I watch him sigh. "You're going to think I'm a terrible person."

So there is something.

~~~
Kai

I look at Emma, trying not to panic. Is she thinking the worst of me? Should I be honest about what I did?