Chapter Thirty

"Bhula Dena mujhe,

Hai Alvida tujhe,

Tujhe jeena hai mere bina.

Safar yeh hai tera,

Yeh raasta tera,

Tujhe jeena hai mere bina."

"Forget me,

This is my goodbye to you,

You have to live without me.

This is your journey,

This is your path,

You have to live without me."

The exact meaning of the song Tariq was singing. Word by word.

I nearly ran to him to tell him he shouldn't do it, but seeing the whole population shocked and looking at them, him and the glee club, I just sat down and waited.

They were really into it with a few of them crying including Tariq, yet again. The song was too powerful. Anyone who had watched Aashiqui 2 the movie in which Shraddha Kapoor and Aditya Roy Kapur starred, would know what I meant. For Fuck's sake, Aditya's character, Rahul, sang that song as a goodbye to Shraddha's character, Aarohi, and then went on to kill himself.

After they finished singing, we all stood up to clap for them. And that's when I noticed that my father was crying as well. Why was he crying? Did he know Tariq? But after thinking back to the song, I knew why he was crying. He looked burned out. It must have brought back painful memories for him.

"Let us go. Go on your own ventures. Show the world how strong you are. Conquer it all. We will always be here; the school will always be here. But you have our support, our prayers, and our promise. We will meet where the grass is greener."

Tariq then left the stage and came to hug me. He whispered to me that he loved me and I told him, I loved him more. He then went to Disha and did the same, before he went back to his seat.

It was a moment that left the atmosphere in sorrow. It sure felt like a send-off. I then had a glimpse of why brides cry when they were having their send-offs. Too many memories with the people you love to hang in the air. Things were clearly never gonna be the same.

"Umm, thank you for this opportunity. I can't tell you how much I feel honored to be here today on this wonderful occasion for Gandhi School. As an agent of education, I feel the power of education in this place and I couldn't be more grateful." I was in my own world till the MP spoke.

"The fact that students here don't only learn, but also practice the knowledge they get, it's something very rare. I have never seen this anywhere else." She looked honest. "I have been to different schools, colleges, and universities, but what I saw here today, is new to me.

"I might have a lot to say but all I'm going to say have been spoken before. There's nothing new I can add there, maybe ask you to study hard and become great people in our society which had also been said by that student who came to sing Bhula Dena. I'm out of words today after a very long time." She laughed with us.

"Okay, before I go, maybe here's something only I can say that hasn't been said before." She scanned the crowd and her eyes were set on the teacher's table. "Mr. Intern, after you finish your studies, come back to Uttar. You'll work at Gandhi School as an official teacher, I'm sending your details to the Minister of work and public services myself."

The crowd erupted in cheers, and I was happy for him. Mr. Beckham Kapur was so talented and had the brains that would allow him to do anything, but he chose us. He chose education as his getaway. He wanted to help people learn and unleash their full potential. It was the ultimate sacred job. He was a real guru.