Ch18: The Journey (1)

The next day comes as a blur. The base is busy with activity as the news settles in. I don't get the chance to see anyone, however, as an armed escort arrives at the dorm before I could even leave to get breakfast. After saying goodbye to Friedrich, I climb into the awaiting eight-wheeled armoured vehicle. There are three such vehicles alongside two small tanks flanking the small convoy on either side. In the rear and front are two additional tanks that must be anti-aircraft variants judging from their main armament.

It's almost as though they expect us to be attacked. Here I was thinking that I'd just be getting into a lone vehicle and driven to the nearest airport to be flown to the capital but no... It's like they think I am a high valued target for the enemy or something. 

Sigh

I suppose I should be grateful that they are taking my safety this seriously. At the very least it tells me that the Fuehrer doesn't want me dead.

Eugen: August! Wait!

Eugen tries getting to me but is held back by Friedrich. Before anyone else can make a move, the convoy moves off and before long we're travelling at a fairly comfortable pace away from the base. Thinking back, I probably should have told Eugen I am fine but oh well...serves her right for not checking up on me while I was being cared for by Friedrich.

????: So there are a few things we need to sort out before we get there.

Refocusing on the inside of the vehicle, I find myself face to face with a man I hadn't noticed until this very moment. His black uniform blended almost seamlessly into the shadows.

Me: Your name being one of them I hope.

Whether he is irritated by my comment or not he doesn't show it, instead merely smiling as he pulls out a book.

????: Your name is August von Parseval, yes?

Me: So I've been told.

????: You woke up in the middle of the ocean with no prior recollection of anything?

Me: That's correct.

????: You were then attacked by Azur Lane forces, whereupon you were rescued by nearby Iron Blood forces and brought to the base we just picked you up from?

Me: Yes.

????: Very well. What is you request?

Me: My request?

????: You mentioned in your reply to the Fuehrer's invitation that you'd only see him if you were granted something in return, well?

Right...

Me: That is for the Fuehrer and I to discuss.

????: I see. Very well.

Closing the book, he passes a note to one of the other men who in turn passes it to the driver. Then as if I am not watching him, he leans back into his seat and places his hat over his face.

????: Francis, wake me when we're there.

Francis: Yes, sir.

Returning to watching the scenery pass by, I'm amazed by how different the environment here feels from my own country. Sure, there's still grass here and the sky is still blue with the same clouds we have but it just feels different. The air is lighter somehow and cool. It's somewhat refreshing, though that probably has to do with the fact that I spent most of my time at sea or in the more polluted areas than anything. It could also be the fact that back then I felt caged in but here, despite the circumstances, I feel liberated with no current expectations being imposed on me by others.

As I continue watching the scenery pass by, a black dot in the sky catches my eye. At first, I think it's a bird but as it draws closer, it separates into a few and later many dots.

Me: Are we expecting any planes to fly over us?

No one responds so I turn and slap the sleeping officer on his leg. This gets everyone's attention but before anyone can react I point at the incoming aircraft.

Me: Are those ours?

He's annoyed but he still takes the time to look. When he does, his eyes widen before he starts barking orders.

????: Break formation!

????: Sir?

????: Breakaway goddammit! 

The driver, still confused, does as he's told and swings the steering to the right forcing the tank on our right to swing to avoid colliding with us. As everyone recovers from the turn, the officer that had interrogated me grabs a nearby radio mike and begins giving commands to the rest of our escort. They all kick into action and not a moment too soon as the first plane arrives and opens fire.

Du du du du du du du!

Rounds from the aircraft kick up dirt on either side of our vehicle as the driver speeds towards the forest. The move has us heading towards the incoming aircraft but it is our best chance at escape. The rest of the convoy has also split off, choosing other parts of the same forest to head into. 

BOOOOM!

An explosion to our left knocks our vehicle to the side but remarkably, it doesn't turn over and instead keeps heading forward. Even more surprising is that none of the crew seems remotely fazed by the fact that a bomb just exploded just beside us. The things they must have gone through to be this calm whilst under attack...

????: Drive in a straight line for that opening!

The officer leans over into the front and points to show the crew exactly where he wants them to go. However, as they complete the final turn to match the new heading, a bomb drops before the vehicle and explodes. 

BOOOOM!

It doesn't damage the vehicle but it causes a hole in the ground which we simply cannot avoid.

????: Brace!

BOOOOOM!